Dwarf Lionfish and Blue Spotted Puffer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catchem20
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Catchem20

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 18, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
1
Location
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently researched a tank mate for my blue spotted puffer. I decided on a dwarf zebra lionfish. Looking the fish comparability charts, it stated they were compatible. I purchased one from my local fish store, acclimated it, and placed it in the tank. It seemed to acting normal adjusting to it's surrounding and the puffer seemed curious about him. Before going to bed the lionfish appeared fine, but when I woke up the next morning the lionfish was belly up with a hermit chewing on his fins. So, the question is, did the puffer pick at his fins over night and eventually kill him? Or was it the stress of a new environment and the tissue missing from his fins the result of being dead and picked over? The fish store said he had been eating live food and he looked healthy. I'm just curious to know if a blue spotted toby and a dwarf lionfish can coexist. Any experiences, advice, or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
I kept a toby puffer with a regular lionfish and the puffer did not bother the lion. I kept them together for a few months until the lion outgrew the tank and I had to rehome it. My guess is that the lionfish died of natural causes (most likely related to being new in the system) and the hermits picked at it after death. You didn't notice any obvious aggression the first night, correct? My experience has been that if a fish is going to be aggressive to a new tank mate, it happens pretty quickly.
 
Thanks! I agree. Didn't notice anything right away. I just know the toby puffer can be aggressive when I put live food in the tank and I did read somewhere about puffers picking at fins of certain fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new