Dwarf moray not cosuming

George Villasenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a dwarf yellow moray, it's been in the display for about 2 weeks and is pretty active moving from one cave to another from time to time and poking its head out from time to time. Tried feeding him scallops, shrimp, and squid rings but he just does not accept them even when they're in front of him, at first he took a chunk of shrimp the first time around, but pushed the chunk out of its cave after a few minutes. Tried another strategy I read, heating up the food for a second, tried chumming the water with mysis, and I do dice the foods since he's pretty small. lastly he has more interest in chasing fish than prepared foods.Am I just unlucky with the personality of the fish? And, I have tried feeding him on different periods of the day.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding small live feeder fish. If this works. To wean on to prepared foods feed fish then the cube. Repeat till eventually eats the cube.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys do usually come around easily to accept dead foods. They are primarily fish eaters in the wild. Once in the display with other fish it's usually pretty hard to now offer him live fish. Try this, get some feeder guppies and freeze them, thaw them out and try feeding them to him with the tongs holding them by tthe tail. The whole fish may get his interest. You can try putting them in live or better would be mollies if you can find them small enough, you can also try holding them with the tongs while alive. Once eating you'll likely find he's pretty easy to feed.

OP
OP
George Villasenor

George Villasenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys do usually come around easily to accept dead foods. They are primarily fish eaters in the wild. Once in the display with other fish it's usually pretty hard to now offer him live fish. Try this, get some feeder guppies and freeze them, thaw them out and try feeding them to him with the tongs holding them by tthe tail. The whole fish may get his interest. You can try putting them in live or better would be mollies if you can find them small enough, you can also try holding them with the tongs while alive. Once eating you'll likely find he's pretty easy to feed.
Got some feeder guppies, tried live and frozen, no interest in them. I’ll try again tomorrow when the lights are on.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about trying feeder/ghost shrimp? They're not very nutritious but may help weaning him onto frozen foods.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine pieces of frozen Mahi (he has expensive tastes). I put a couple of drops of Selcon and Vitachem on it while it's thawing then use tongs to feed it to him. He chows down on it...

rfgonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW My Japanese dragon Moray would only eat live goldfish when a juvenile then coy as an adult. It took me years of trying to feed frozen food. Definitly not nutritious for them, but it worked. Then about 2 or 3 years ago I finally got him to eat grocery store shimp.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back