Dwarf Seahorse and inverts

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am in the planning stages of my build I've gone through (with the help you you R2R), my lighting, and Pods.

Right now I am in my inhabitant stage.
I know what I want... Gobies. and a Basslet. Normal for me. I'm easy to please in the aspect. I love Gobies. I love Basslets. I love Shrimp and I love hermit crabs.

My other half wants either clownfish or sea horses. That's the stipulation for the build. We've done Clowns in the past and now I think I want to try sea horses.

So on to my question and why I'm posting in this particular section of the forum. I would love to have dwarf sea horses and from what i've been reading. Goby and small basslets do quite well with them, but I love shrimp and I love hermit crabs....

So hermit crabs... do they work with dwarf seahorses? I usually keep blue legged hermit crabs and also small hermit crabs picked up in the Gulf of Mexico when I go collecting. If they get too big I can either bring them back out to the ocean to live out their days or move them to another tank (because let's face it... there will be another tank.)

And then shrimp. Peppermint Shrimp are usually fine, but I'm ALWAYS thinking of Pistol Shrimp...

Thanks for reading.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a Dwarf seahorse keeper but I read postings from DSH keepers. Many of them keep mysis shrimp in with them. The DSH eat the larvae shrimp and thus vary their diet somewhat.

I can't really answer any of your other questions as I am not knowledgeable about them.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not but I honest to God read every post as long as it wasn't a double post on the dsh forum. I set up a tank for them let it cycle 4 months and just decided they weren't for me. They won't really eat anything that isn't alive and the thought of decasing and hatching brine everyday was my deciding factor on passing them up. They aren't for the faint of heart and it isn't the best to house anything but Macro algae with them. They are more of an opportunistic feeder. Crabs and most shrimp are a definite no. @SeahorseKeeper I know dwarfs are nessicarily your cup of tea but you can shed some more light on horses in general.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not but I honest to God read every post as long as it wasn't a double post on the dsh forum. I set up a tank for them let it cycle 4 months and just decided they weren't for me. They won't really eat anything that isn't alive and the thought of decasing and hatching brine everyday was my deciding factor on passing them up. They aren't for the faint of heart and it isn't the best to house anything but Macro algae with them. They are more of an opportunistic feeder. Crabs and most shrimp are a definite no. @SeahorseKeeper I know dwarfs are nessicarily your cup of tea but you can shed some more light on horses in general.

Thanks for reading and providing info. The deciding factor for me was if I could keep my hermits and shrimp with them. Perfect. I can bring this to my other half for a decision. Looks like it's going to be Black Clowns :3

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I could be of some assistance. There are many interesting fish you could keep instead of clowns if you are looking for something different. The community here is super helpful so don't hesitate to ask.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I could be of some assistance. There are many interesting fish you could keep instead of clowns if you are looking for something different. The community here is super helpful so don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks. I've been a member off and on for a few years. Clownfish are a staple for the tank. It's what the missus wants. I have alot of experience with them so it makes it easier for me. I'm probably going to head on over to the nano thread in the next few weeks to start my journal.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back