E

elijah scot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious

where did you read in preps leading up to reefing that we take dry rocks and add fish to it

did a pet store employee tell you to do that, or a thread you saw? asking because you had to read up a while to learn how to control salinity, salt levels, to do water changes and I hadn't seen any post where someone was advised to add fish to a non cycled tank with no bottle bac.

usually in pet stores when buying fish they chat you up about your reef, all that went undisclosed?

as the fish sat there among the waste for weeks before they died, you were feeding them as normal and the reef cycled within a month relative to surface area present just like this one did

see how feed + wait a month = cycled? you did this same approach, only fish were dying along the way in the ramp up

where did you read about setting up a reef tank this way

you need to add a total of ten of those rocks to your tank, not 1. you can see in preps by clicking reefs on the site they use more than 1 rock in nearly all examples

the reason am asking about how you studied and saw to skip bottle bac is because I'm interested in knowing how people approach reef tank builds as a new reefer.

**bags of wet sand say you can do this trick**so that may be one reason you chose to skip the bottle bac. it says right on the caribsea bag can insta cycle a tank for fish. we don't believe it, but it says it.
I’ve added some quick start
did you use bottled bacteria to cycle the tank i don't think this has been answered yet
yeah I have

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still need to provide us with some numbers too so we can better assist.

First and foremost, what is the Salinity of the tank, and how did you check it?

If it was a refractometer, how did you calibrate it?

How are you managing temperature and what is the temperature at?

What test kits are you using to check your parameters and what are they?

Nitrate
Alkalinity
pH

Where is your source water from? Did you mix it yourself? If so which RO/DI Unit did you use and how is it connected? Did you test TDS of the water source before mixing salt?

Which type(s) of fish did you add to the tank and what did you feed them?

What acclimation process did you use if any?

The answers to these questions will be very useful for us to help you diagnose your problem.

cokeeffe03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note, quickstart is pretty bottom of the barrel as far as bottled bac goes. We don't even recommend using it for freshwater tanks. I've had great success with Fritz and Dr. Tim's if you can get them and you have an ammonia or Nitrite reading

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back