Dying Trumpet Coral

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id did seem a little long it was a 10ml solution with a litre of water to get hitchhikers off, i did use tapwater while doing that
Oh, there it is.
You have to use tank water. Coral is not good in fresh water. This is what killed it.
Sorry for your loss.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id did seem a little long it was a 10ml solution with a litre of water to get hitchhikers off, i did use tapwater while doing that
That is likely the issue... Chlorine that's generally in tap water is toxic to coral (and fish). And never dip corals in freshwater.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tbg299 , a little reading for you...
This article is a joke... and I'm not even going to waste my time proving how every specious point in this author's argument is wrong. I was really amused by the logical fallacy of "corals do not contain hemoglobin, so therefore ammonia can't harm them" though. I highly advise you to not instruct newcomers based on what you gathered from some anecdotal article.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is most likely the tap water that killed the coral. Must use tank water next time.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article is a joke... and I'm not even going to waste my time proving how every specious point in this author's argument is wrong. I was really amused by the logical fallacy of "corals do not contain hemoglobin, so therefore ammonia can't harm them" though. I highly advise you to not instruct newcomers based on what you gathered from some anecdotal article.
I can explain it to you but can't understand it for you.
What is so complicated about the idea that creatures with blood are affected differently by ammonia than those without?
Professional coral farmers actually dose ammonia regularly to their fishless systems as it is necessary coral food...

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can explain it to you but can't understand it for you.
What is so complicated about the idea that creatures with blood are affected differently by ammonia than those without?
Professional coral farmers actually dose ammonia regularly to their fishless systems as it is necessary coral food...
They’re not dosing it as a primary food source. It is being dosed to maintain bacteria populations in the absence of ammonia produced by fish. Yes some ammonia can be utilized by corals but not the amount added for bacteria.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not dosing it as a primary food source. It is being dosed to maintain bacteria populations in the absence of ammonia produced by fish. Yes some ammonia can be utilized by corals but not the amount added for bacteria.
I dose ammonia as a primary food source for coral in my tank. Yes it has fish too.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, try again.

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose ammonia as a primary food source for coral in my tank. Yes it has fish too.
It has fish too. So there is a nitrogen cycle. I am not disputing corals uptake ammonia. But without a nitrogen cycle, if allowed to accumulate it will reach a toxic level.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has fish too. So there is a nitrogen cycle. I am not disputing corals uptake ammonia. But without a nitrogen cycle, if allowed to accumulate it will reach a toxic level.
This makes absolutely no sense. Nitrifying bacteria are everywhere and will find their way into a tank regardless of what you do. "Without a nitrogen cycle" is a nonsensical phrase.

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes absolutely no sense. Nitrifying bacteria are everywhere and will find their way into a tank regardless of what you do. "Without a nitrogen cycle" is a nonsensical phrase.
Telling a "Newbie" to reefing not to worry about ammonia is nonsensical. I understand where you are going. Nitrifying bacteira are everywhere. Not all of the ammonia will be used as food. The majority will be converted, rather quickly. Yes corals can use ammonia as food. Without nitrifying bacteria it will build to toxic levels.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Telling a "Newbie" to reefing not to worry about ammonia is nonsensical. I understand where you are going. Nitrifying bacteira are everywhere. Not all of the ammonia will be used as food. The majority will be converted, rather quickly. Yes corals can use ammonia as food. Without nitrifying bacteria it will build to toxic levels.
Don't put words in my mouth! I never told anyone "not to worry about ammonia".

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back