E-bay question

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had issues with an ebay user badgering for lower and lower prices. This user was blocked from buying, and has returned under a different name (the 0 purchases and brand new account kind of a giveaway).
There is no need to have this transaction go through because the likelihood of them making a false claim is too high.
Any suggestions? Just cancel the sale and go on?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a setting to only allow people with a certain amount of feedbacks to purchase from you, that’s how I have mine set up. I agree don’t sell anything to them your asking for issues, cancel sale and report to eBay.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a setting to only allow people with a certain amount of feedbacks to purchase from you, that’s how I have mine set up. I agree don’t sell anything to them your asking for issues, cancel sale and report to eBay.

Yes. I have always had it so anyone without at least two transactions couldn't bid without clearing it with me first. However, they appear to have changed this where the starting point is -1 and lower. Apparently they no longer do 0.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why even bother considering? Block them again and do not give them any attention. You are not the only ebay seller and this isnt worth your time.

I agree, but if they keep making accounts and bidding it's a pain in the rear. So I'm not sure how to prevent this from continuing.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have always had it so anyone without at least two transactions couldn't bid without clearing it with me first. However, they appear to have changed this where the starting point is -1 and lower. Apparently they no longer do 0.

I haven’t looked at it for years but I believe mine was set to like 20-30 transactions? I had a lot of issues when I first started eBay but over the last 15 years I have only had maybe 2 issues with buyers.

I agree, but if they keep making accounts and bidding it's a pain in the rear. So I'm not sure how to prevent this from continuing.

contact eBay and tell them what you suspect is happening, should be able to do that on the transaction page for the sale, request sale cancellation and then select whatever reason best describes your situation.. think there is a spot for comment as well depending on the reason you want to cancel the transaction. I also think there is a option to check if your having problems with buyer.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rereading your post, you should be able to block bidders while auction is in progress if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
contact eBay and tell them what you suspect is happening, should be able to do that on the transaction page for the sale, request sale cancellation and then select whatever reason best describes your situation.. think there is a spot for comment as well depending on the reason you want to cancel the transaction. I also think there is a option to check if your having problems with buyer.

Thanks. I did cancel the transaction but apparently ebay has removed your ability to comment or state a different reason.

I will try and contact them to see what they say.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured they probably have made multiple changes but fortunately I haven’t had any of your issues for years. I don’t sell aquatic stuff just some hand made items I make out of 550 cord and will sell them there on occasion, scammers probably not interested in my stuff.. lol

AD1ADC23-1020-4448-A724-F3A43A831198.png

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be amazed at what people scam. I think they do it more for the thrill rather than the item.

I figured they probably have made multiple changes but fortunately I haven’t had any of your issues for years. I don’t sell aquatic stuff just some hand made items I make out of 550 cord and will sell them there on occasion, scammers probably not interested in my stuff.. lol

AD1ADC23-1020-4448-A724-F3A43A831198.png

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eBay removed most ways to block new accounts/ 0 feedback folks. They even took out the bit where you could block buyers who don't have a Paypal account. the best you can do now is set up a fixed price buy it now listing, and click the "require immediate payment" box. which allows new folks to buy it, but they have to pay right away.

londre5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ebay, local forums, people always send you ridic offers. Annoying but it's part of selling unfortunately

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another strategy to consider: rather than filtering out new buyers, only offer "buy it now" instead of auctions etc.

I sell a fair amount on eBay but only as "buy it now", so there is almost never any discussion of prices, because the sale is usually complete before the discussion starts.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ebay is hurting for cash and will let anyone buy/sell, that's how they get $$, problem with canceled sale is he can now give you a bad mark as a seller, but you will be able to add a remark like"canceled sale due to no feedback" with coral sales I would worry too.
Edit: also when canceling use reason "damaged Item"

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another strategy to consider: rather than filtering out new buyers, only offer "buy it now" instead of auctions etc.

I sell a fair amount on eBay but only as "buy it now", so there is almost never any discussion of prices, because the sale is usually complete before the discussion starts.

This was a buy it now. That’s all I do.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ebay is hurting for cash and will let anyone buy/sell, that's how they get $$, problem with canceled sale is he can now give you a bad mark as a seller, but you will be able to add a remark like"canceled sale due to no feedback" with coral sales I would worry too.
Edit: also when canceling use reason "damaged Item"

I’ll remember that. Thanks

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a buy it now. That’s all I do.
Sorry, missed that.

I'm hesitant to even discuss reducing prices with a potential buyer. My experience has been that the kind of person who tries to lower your price is also a pain after the sale, and tries to scam you into a refund. So now when someone tries to negotiate prices I consider that a deal-breaking red flag and just ignore them :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back