E5 led/T5 lighting

blackgrouper79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PAR will probably not change a lot since I will be replacing only one actinic lamp by the blue E5 in each of my two 8x54W fixtures. The plan is to add pop at dusk and dawn (not so much throughout the day). Although I will keep them on throughout the whole 12 hours light cycle, I am not expecting a lot of difference during day time, I believe all my other T5 will overpower it. Well... will see.
how old is the T5 you are replacing? as they age they lose spectrum out put so putting a new bulb in may/should bring the PARs up correct? I just read the manufactures claims last night and these new lights really got my attention as I need to do a bulb change or up grade to LEDs. I'm really curious how a side by side comparison will turn out--a full swap with all new bulbs vs slightly used bulbs. I'm hoping these new E5s are a real break through in lighting. let me know what you think I'm wishing for the best……...
T5 VS E5 what to do????

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here imma be ordering them in a month wene my bulbs are due I think there gona work wonders

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is the T5 you are replacing? as they age they lose spectrum out put so putting a new bulb in may/should bring the PARs up correct? I just read the manufactures claims last night and these new lights really got my attention as I need to do a bulb change or up grade to LEDs. I'm really curious how a side by side comparison will turn out--a full swap with all new bulbs vs slightly used bulbs. I'm hoping these new E5s are a real break through in lighting. let me know what you think I'm wishing for the best……...
T5 VS E5 what to do????
The actinic T5 was only a month old. But I only replaced one actinic in each of my two 8x54 fixtures. That is why I was not expecting a big difference in PAR. Most of the PAR comes from Blue Plus (x4/fixture) and Coral Plus (x2/fixture). Corals are growing well, there was no bleaching after the replacement 2 weeks ago. I am happy with the color pop I am getting.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see so many good reviews! I knew once people tried them they would be happy!

blackgrouper79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actinic T5 was only a month old. But I only replaced one actinic in each of my two 8x54 fixtures. That is why I was not expecting a big difference in PAR. Most of the PAR comes from Blue Plus (x4/fixture) and Coral Plus (x2/fixture). Corals are growing well, there was no bleaching after the replacement 2 weeks ago. I am happy with the color pop I am getting.
good to hear. I'm probably going to do a full swap on my set up--it's only 4 48"s and I'm well over due

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will these provide any shimmer effect typical with LED's?

Bumping this as no one answered . I use Hexarc bulbs in a Matrixx fixture n they are getting scarce / hard to source .
I also use a 50/50 reef brite on the rear of the unit . I can't see why one would replace all the t5's with these since u are losing a lot of refraction and intensity from the reflectors .
It's kinda defeats the purpose . I do not want to make my Matrixx ii fixture any more ***** by adding another reef brite to the front of the unit . I may try one blue E5 bulb to add to the front to see how this comes out . I can't see wasting the actual design of a t5 unit unless it's a cheap unit since, the reflectors will be null n void .Not sure on how the spectrum will of these bulbs will affect SPS coloration . After all t5's work well because of the reflector's .

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you people think it's worth it? Just do the math
it would take 2 1/2 - 3 years to pay off as oppose to using regular T5 bulbs. (one 24" T5 is $20, the E5 is $50).

this is just my opinion.
I think we need to think a little before buying these E5. will you be using T5 for the next 2+ yrs or not .
if you don't plan on using T5 light for more than 2-3 years then I would just stick with the regular T5 bulb.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
it would take 2 1/2 - 3 years to pay off as oppose to using regular T5 bulbs. (one 24" T5 is $20, the E5 is $50).

this is just my opinion.
I think we need to think a little before buying these E5. will you be using T5 for the next 2+ yrs or not .
if you don't plan on using T5 light for more than 2-3 years then I would just stick with the regular T5 bulb.

Sometimes a experiment is just that. A experiment.
That's how people find out they prefer something different over what was recommended by someone else.

Euroquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you get a 3yr warrant and 45% power savings first. Then the spectrum is super stable compare to T5 second. And the spectral improvements... just compare the chart of a T5 to an E5, it speaks for it self! ;)

And most of the people that love and run T5 run them for far more that 2-3 years, and these last for up to 8 before you need to replace them. Not to mention how good the 450nm Blue Pop lamp makes coral look! ;)

Not all will go this route and that up to the user and fine with us! People that have E5 seem to love them. We're not trying to criticize anyone for their lighting choice, we're just helping advance the industry where we can and give more options! The old always moves aside at some point for newer, better options, we just want to be part of that!

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
problem is alot of people change out to other lights before the 3 years warranty period.
8 years before people replace the E5 bulb sounds good. but I am very doubt that you will see people with T5 fixture 8 years from now.
The industry has changed so much.
I remember in 2010, reefer hardly heard the word LED light, and fast forward 5 yrs later (2015), 75% of the people are using LED.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I am very doubt that you will see people with T5 fixture 8 years from now.
The industry has changed so much.
I remember in 2010, reefer hardly heard the word LED light, and fast forward 5 yrs later (2015), 75% of the people are using LED.

I'm not sure I agree with you on that statement. I know a lot of people that made the switch to LED and they went right back to T5 or MH (whatever they were using before). I was one of them and will be true to my T5's for a very long time.

Some people have had great results with LED so don't get me wrong but it's not for everyone so you will see people to continue to use T5 and MH in 8+ years without a doubt.

I am interested in the E5 bulbs for the simple fact I like the pop that LED's give off in certain corals but I like the overall look of T5 way more. I doubt I would ever switch to all E5 but maybe one to two bulbs to get the slight effect of LED without sacrificing my growth I get with T5.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing that the PCB is thin FR4, which is an insulator and not a conductor like you would see from an aluminum or copper MCPCB, has no thermal paste or epoxy between it and the heatsink, and isn't actually physically attached to the heatsink, I think 8 years is a pipe dream, especially since the LED brand isn't known. They aren't pushing a lot of power into the LEDs (and therefore not making loads of heat), but if the heat has nowhere to go, then the LEDs will simply continue to heat up, reducing their output and longevity.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this is just my opinion.
With the lifespan, these will probably have some resale value if someone doesn't like them, or decides to change light source. Sure you won't get full price back but a fixture for sale with year old e5 could probably get more than than one with year old t5s..

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back