Eagle Eye=Whammin' watermelons

AmyC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

This may haave been discussed, if so, forgive me. Are Whammin Watermelons and Eagle Eyes the same thing? If not, does anyone have a photo of both so I can see the difference? Just curious. Cheers!--Amy

gm333

Reef drooler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the whammin watermelon.
main.php

And here is the eagle eyes.
main.php

OP
OP
A

AmyC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it would be nice to see pics of each of these from one individual's tank. It seemed like some of the photos in the zoaid section looked orangier and some looked pinkier. I'm really just curious because I picked up a frag a long time ago of Whammin' watermelons and also got a frag of Eagle Eyes and at first they looked different, but over time they've both come to look like The Zoaid picture in the post above of Whammin' Watermelons.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think they are same morph, lighting can play a big factor as well...I have had a few different morphs of the same thing and they are looked relatively the same. Some brighter some not as vivid but basically the same thing...

familyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watermellon eyes

I have them both in my tank and I can see a difference. Eagles are orange and mellons are red or pink

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I say same morph.

Why?

Well I got a rock in that were half WW and half EE. One half was exposed I guess on the backside to different lighting.

HIGH light will cause the skirts to be extreme green.

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would have to say the same morph. The design/pattern is exactly the same on both, one is simply more red then the other. Lighting plays a huge role in colors of zoos/palys. Higher, intense light will usually bring out better colors IMO

OP
OP
A

AmyC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking about EE and WW's, that they were the same morph. Whatever they actually are, they are pretty and prolific!

Briney Dave

High School Marine edc.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amy, I am so glad that you asked that question. In my student tanks we had some of each and ended up with all the same. I was sure I had goofed something up for the kids and was feeling a bit of a dunce. (no jokes please LOL) I think there are still some very slight differences but it may be my imagination
Can anyone prescribe conditions that would produce one or the other The students operating the tank where we lost the seperation are long gone and as I look back through so are the accounts of this change

Lord Sevein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that both EE and WW are the same morph. I also think there are many, many other examples of different names for the same morph. A good example of this is my "Orange Delight" (according to zoaid) that I have in my Aquapod. There are about three different names that I have seen floating around. What's even worse is that there are often multiple zoaid entries for the same morph.

As everyone else here has said, lighting has everything to do with color. I don't know exactly what causes specific changes, but I have witnessed my zoas morph in my tank. Lighting will change color.

I think people just get so into finding a "whole new morph" that they don't care if the colors of their zoa have just morphed a bit off from normal. They want to have credit/money for discovering a "brand new and uber rare" color morph.

Just my $.02

-Lord Sevein

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and Eagle Eyes the same thing? If not, does anyone have a photo of both so I can see the difference? Just curious. Cheers!--Amy

imo, they're definitely two very similar, but 100% unique zoas.....i've owned both....although right now i've only got the wham'n watermelons (and a nice size colony at that!)

here's my true eagle eyes.....came from a Fiji shipment....lost the entire rock to the white death...dang near brings a tear to my eye to see this pic again.
(14,000K)
DSC_0205-875.jpg

and here's the wham'n watermelons (not my pic)...and from what i see here in Toronto...this is a common morph from Vietnam
(20,000K)
IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

here's an old pic of my wham'n watermellons, centre-left
july21_20072.jpg

The eagle eyes are waay more orange, while the wham'n watermelons are more reddish/pink as familyreefer noted, but otherwise, they're almost identical.

Zach.

Last edited:

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post I know but what about super saiyan? All 3 look the same to me! I had someone sell me super saiyan then another seller screw up my order and only sent 3 zoas instead of 4 and one was super saiyan and one was whammin watermelon. I and the thirds is totally the wrong one all together! Its a mix of differt zoas I remember he was selling at the same time! Anyway, one is gorgeous and has very long yellow skirts! Its prettier then my high end zoas to me! I have super Saiyan's from another seller in a different tank, different lightening as well. I just won some zoas and was trying to match up to the ones that I have with the long skirts. He has both the super saiyan and eagle eye so I dont know which to get to match those! Especially since I dont know what he sent but I love them! I iwll attach a pic when lights come on! Maybe someone can tell me what I have!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back