Earths SPS tank crashes… again :(

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
373189E0-A326-49BF-BB80-A048DA474301.jpeg

Another mass bleaching event hit the GBR in 2022. “The surveys confirm a mass bleaching event, with coral bleaching observed at multiple reefs in all regions,” a statement accompanying the report said. “This is the fourth mass bleaching event since 2016 and the sixth to occur on the Great Barrier Reef since 1998.

So heartbreaking when these reports come out, and sadly it’s only likely to get much worse…

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
373189E0-A326-49BF-BB80-A048DA474301.jpeg

Another mass bleaching event hit the GBR in 2022. “The surveys confirm a mass bleaching event, with coral bleaching observed at multiple reefs in all regions,” a statement accompanying the report said. “This is the fourth mass bleaching event since 2016 and the sixth to occur on the Great Barrier Reef since 1998.

So heartbreaking when these reports come out, and sadly it’s only likely to get much worse…
I hope they never ban reef exports. We gotta replant all those colonies with frags from our display

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very sad to see. My #1 bucket list item is to dive/snorkel the GBR but my chances are looking bleak. Hopefully things take a drastic change for the better in the coming years

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they never ban reef exports. We gotta replant all those colonies with frags from our display
Yeah what’s in DTs might be all that’s left in a few years…

everyone, donate some green slimer to AUS!

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it does not work like that, but still at least some genetic diversity is stored safely across the world for the future generations to see a droplet of the magnificence that the luckies of us could experience..

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very sad to see. My #1 bucket list item is to dive/snorkel the GBR but my chances are looking bleak. Hopefully things take a drastic change for the better in the coming years
Fortunately it is not likely that the whole GBR will bleach without recovering until a "long" time, so you might still make it in time :) For the drastic change, well... Apparently even if we stopped emitting CO2 totally (which is impossible) tomorrow, the effects of climate change will still persist for few hundreds of years before going back to "normality"

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it does not work like that, but still at least some genetic diversity is stored safely across the world for the future generations to see a droplet of the magnificence that the luckies of us could experience..
It’s gonna have to some day

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Australia should do what Indonesia does, which is mariculture the corals with a percentage going to restoration.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s gonna have to some day
The problem is about ecosystem complexity. What we keep in captivity is firstly a very small proportion of the complexity out there and secondly corals in captivity are adapting to captivity conditions, it is hard to tell how many species kept in the hobby can actually be transplanted in the wild. There are other hundreds small but technical motivations on why the hobby cannot really contribute to coral reef restoration significantly if the world reef ecosystem collapse..
One interesting example is gene complexes disruption. Basically if you take an organism from one place and you transplant it hundreds km away in another colony you are basically risking to "doom" the recipient colony in the long term by disrupting the delicate balance between that population genes via introducing "foreign" genes.
Immagine mixing corals from different geographical regions in one single place.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Australia should do what Indonesia does, which is mariculture the corals with a percentage going to restoration.
The issue seems to be the oceans becoming an inhospitable place for coral growth because of rising temperatures, not an issue of over harvesting or damage…

As warming gets worse and worse it’ll be more of a problem on nearly any natural reef anywhere in the ocean :(

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is about ecosystem complexity. What we keep in captivity is firstly a very small proportion of the complexity out there and secondly corals in captivity are adapting to captivity conditions, it is hard to tell how many species kept in the hobby can actually be transplanted in the wild. There are other hundreds small but technical motivations on why the hobby cannot really contribute to coral reef restoration significantly if the world reef ecosystem collapse..
One interesting example is gene complexes disruption. Basically if you take an organism from one place and you transplant it hundreds km away in another colony you are basically risking to "doom" the recipient colony in the long term by disrupting the delicate balance between that population genes via introducing "foreign" genes.
Immagine mixing corals from different geographical regions in one single place.
Is that all? Sounds easy enough! Let’s give it a try and see what happens

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue seems to be the oceans becoming an inhospitable place for coral growth because of rising temperatures, not an issue of over harvesting or damage…

As warming gets worse and worse it’ll be more of a problem on nearly any natural reef anywhere in the ocean :(
Which is why we have reefers trying preconditioned tank raised coral on their coral farms in the sea. The earth will do what it does best and adapt

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately it is not likely that the whole GBR will bleach without recovering until a "long" time, so you might still make it in time :) For the drastic change, well... Apparently even if we stopped emitting CO2 totally (which is impossible) tomorrow, the effects of climate change will still persist for few hundreds of years before going back to "normality"
I think estimates show 2050 the reefs could be gone which is quite a bit away. As the continue to die off I’m sure the prices of tours will skyrocket

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the general idea of the comments is that we could restore dead coral reefs when the negative effects of climate change will subside... I mean optimism is good..but I do not want to open another spicy discussion about coral conservation and hobbists...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back