13   0   0
Two little fishies

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just picked up the new aquamaxx sigma 1 reactor for gfo and it's awesome. In sump, top comes off and easy to refill and rinse. It's great for gfo and carbon. Super easy to dial in the flow rate, just a simple twist of the base.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Avast- spyglass reactor has the best design I've ever seen, especially from a maintenance and flow standpoint.

You can buy a kit and save a few bucks or just buy a unit already constructed.

They also provide standard reactors which are very nice as well. I have of one the standard reactors(MR5) I put together from one of their kits..........took me about 10 minutes to put together. They have videos to show you how to do it step by step.

The reactor is well built and will last a lifetime.

Last edited:

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up the new aquamaxx sigma 1 reactor for gfo and it's awesome. In sump, top comes off and easy to refill and rinse. It's great for gfo and carbon. Super easy to dial in the flow rate, just a simple twist of the base.
Eyeballin' that model hard right now. Thanks for the review.
Do you still like it?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eyeballin' that model hard right now. Thanks for the review.
Do you still like it?
Yeah, it’s pretty easy to use. I still put media (usually carbon) in a mesh bag, so swapping out media is super fast. Loosen the top screw, open it up, pull the bag and replace with a new one, close the lid, tighten it up, power back on. Done. Adjusting the flow is simple, just turn the reactor body left or right.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for the easiest maintenance carbon reactor. Something that’s easier than two little fishies. I’d be nice to just dump out and put in carbon without spilling some of the media on the floor.

BRS ones are probably the easiest no mess ones. Aquamaxx AIO style ones are not bad. The two little fishies one is terrible lol

tomtsp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s pretty easy to use. I still put media (usually carbon) in a mesh bag, so swapping out media is super fast. Loosen the top screw, open it up, pull the bag and replace with a new one, close the lid, tighten it up, power back on. Done. Adjusting the flow is simple, just turn the reactor body left or right.

Great info.. thank you. What GFO are you running and are you bagging the GFO as well? Also, ever run GFO and carbon simultaneously? Thanks!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great info.. thank you. What GFO are you running and are you bagging the GFO as well? Also, ever run GFO and carbon simultaneously? Thanks!
When I use it, it’s mostly for carbon and I bag everything for ease of use. I’ve used it with rowaphos, but very small amounts and I’ve used it for cuprisorb (to remove some excess metals that showed up). Yes, I’ve combined carbon and cuprisorb together, but I separate rowaphos and carbon so they don’t rub. I have a lot of bags for easy exchange of media.
I’ve also used it with filter floss when I use a flocculant to clear up the water. I use a DIY coral snow as a flocculant. The great thing about using bags inside the reactor is it’s so simple, just remove the lid, grab the bag, exchange with fresh media, lid back on, done. You don’t even have to shut it off during the exchange, but it is easier with the flow off. Also, controlling the flow with a simple twist is awesome.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build your own with parts from a place like freshwatersystems.com. I initially made reactors with 1/2” lines but found them bulky and not necessary for the flow I needed. I ended up building these using 1/4” RODI tubing. I can still tumble a 1/2 cup of GFO. These use the empty cartridges from BRS.

0584B86E-E61F-4B9B-9271-E3E2392EBCE7.jpeg

George's reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build your own with parts from a place like freshwatersystems.com. I initially made reactors with 1/2” lines but found them bulky and not necessary for the flow I needed. I ended up building these using 1/4” RODI tubing. I can still tumble a 1/2 cup of GFO. These use the empty cartridges from BRS.

0584B86E-E61F-4B9B-9271-E3E2392EBCE7.jpeg
can you list the parts you purchase from this site? I'm really interested in a setting like yours

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back