Easiest to use portable ph probe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave-T
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dave-T

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 19, 2022
Messages
970
Reaction score
506
Location
Boston
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like a portable PH probe to measure the ph in my kalk stirrer, and to use as a backup for my GHL system. Is there a type of probe that doesn't require constant calibration? I have a BlueLab PH probe that I never use, because of the need to calibrate it and keep the probe wet. Too much of a hassle for me.
 
I use Hanna for pH because I don't trust most pens and am also not interested in constant, necessary calibration for these items. I don't think there is any inexpensive reliable pH meters that are trustworthy and that don't require calibration. It's the nature of the beast, perhaps?

Nathan Nate GIF by ConEquip Parts
 
Thanks. I didn't say inexpensive. Are there any expensive ones that you don't need to calibrate? And that would work with the 12 ph level of a kalk solution?
 
Calibration, as far as I have heard, is necessary for these probe testers, but I Googel a look around, and what do you know! There are some that are advertising "no Need" to calibrate, but for professional users you can calibrate them if you want too?

Cheap at only $58.99

"NO CALIBRATION NEEDED: This is a small ph meter which no need calibration for normal use, only one key to operate, easy to bring and simple use. Perfect for any liquid test, wide use in lab, wine, juice, swimming pool and so on."

I almost
want to get one just to see how it performs.
 
Last edited:
Calibration, as far as I have heard, is necessary for these probe testers, but I Googel a look around, and what do you know! There are some that are advertising "no Need" to calibrate, but for professional users you can calibrate them if you want too?

Cheap at only $58.99

"
NO CALIBRATION NEEDED: This is a small ph meter which no need calibration for normal use, only one key to operate, easy to bring and simple use. Perfect for any liquid test, wide use in lab, wine, juice, swimming pool and so on."

I almost
want to get one just to see how it performs.
Huh. Could you post a link?
 
I would not trust the results without some type of calibration or verification. pH meters require constant verification and calibration to give accurate meaningful results. They drift overtime some quicker and more frequently than others.
 

That's ridiculous. All it means is that a nonprofessional doesn't care about exact values to "need" calibration. Same claim could be made for any pH meter, except a few which may not actually let you bypass calibrating at least one.

There's nothing special about that pH device that makes it not need calibration.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new