Easy to keep but not "invasive" corals

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the only lfs with frags in my area but prices where a bit high so I only got 3 frags for now. 1 ricordea florida orange, 1 fungia rainbow and 1 candy cane yellow. Unfortunately no duncans, no gorgo and the rhodactis they had I did not like the color. Next time I will get those online. Reading a bit around I found that my monti should be quite easy and since is not doing well at all I am gonna wait a bit more for sps until I have more control of alk and po4 (atm I have crappy tests so its hard to tell between decimals)
Hey KonradTO. Which monti did you get? Some might take several days to extend polyps. As long as he's no melting there's hope. Lol. Good luck.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey KonradTO. Which monti did you get? Some might take several days to extend polyps. As long as he's no melting there's hope. Lol. Good luck.
Hey! No sorry my bad, I meant the monti I had already before. It's an encrousting reverse superman I believe (bright red polyps on blue background under blue lights). But each day I see less and less polyp colors and more brownish hair which I think could be some kind of algae, unless it have brownish polyps. Its not definitely bleched/melting, but it looked much more colorful 2 weeks ago when I got it. To be honest I am not even entirely sure how it should look like if it was super healthy..

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I found myself greatly proud of my first ricordea. It looks amazing, I think I will get some more of those. So many colors and shades on a single animal!

IMG_20211229_130939_384.jpg

Sorry for pic quality but it is hard to take pics under those mean blu leds XD

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news I thought they were kind of invasive. Maybe I got confused. It's not the one that detaches and spread babies around?
I'm going to have to disagree with the other poster on this one. Rhodactis mushrooms can absolutely be invasive, it just depends on the type. If you're getting the really nice colorful ones, they tend to grow more slowly. However, I have a green hairy mushroom (also a rhodactis) that has grown like wildfire in my tank and has taken out everything in its path, including other mushrooms.

See the single hairy mushroom on the middle of the right rock below the Xenia? This was August 2019.
0831191559.jpg

Now here's early December 2021. They out-competed the watermelon and blue discosoma mushrooms beneath them and have pretty much taken over the right rockwork.
1127211115a.jpg

Don't me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting these beautiful corals, but under the right conditions they can go nuts in your tank. I happen to like them since they look a lot like anemones when they get larger. I certainly could have pruned them back as well, but I've taken a bit of a hands off approach with this tank.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mushrooms I would personally recommend not getting any blue ones. In my tank many blue ones sort of disappear into the background with the blue lights on.
Edit - Just noticed that it looks like you have a nice looking blue one now. Never mind, lol.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have to disagree with the other poster on this one. Rhodactis mushrooms can absolutely be invasive, it just depends on the type. If you're getting the really nice colorful ones, they tend to grow more slowly. However, I have a green hairy mushroom (also a rhodactis) that has grown like wildfire in my tank and has taken out everything in its path, including other mushrooms.

See the single hairy mushroom on the middle of the right rock below the Xenia? This was August 2019.
0831191559.jpg

Now here's early December 2021. They out-competed the watermelon and blue discosoma mushrooms beneath them and have pretty much taken over the right rockwork.
1127211115a.jpg

Don't me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting these beautiful corals, but under the right conditions they can go nuts in your tank. I happen to like them since they look a lot like anemones when they get larger. I certainly could have pruned them back as well, but I've taken a bit of a hands off approach with this tank.
Wow. That's some growth. I "heard" similar stories on other threads. Do you know whether anemone-dwelling species such as sexy shrimp or porcelain crabs host them?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mushrooms I would personally recommend not getting any blue ones. In my tank many blue ones sort of disappear into the background with the blue lights on.
Edit - Just noticed that it looks like you have a nice looking blue one now. Never mind, lol.
XD. Actually despite the blue on the outer margin the central part is so brightly colored that it really stands out. The phone camera does not give enough credit for it!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's some growth. I "heard" similar stories on other threads. Do you know whether anemone-dwelling species such as sexy shrimp or porcelain crabs host them?
They get pretty huge as well. Several of them when fully open are almost the size of a dinner plate which I absolutely love.

I know clownfish will host in them as I've seen them do it at my LFS where I got the first mushroom. I don't have any sexy shrimp or porcelain crabs in my tank so I can't comment on those, but I imagine it's a possibility especially with a large colony of them.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XD. Actually despite the blue on the outer margin the central part is so brightly colored that it really stands out. The phone camera does not give enough credit for it!
Orange "coral" phone lenses make a real difference. They are on the internet.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

0831191559.jpg

1127211115a.jpg

You should trade these for sometime new. They are beautiful. These guys can be moved. Gsp, paly, sometime kenya tree. Those can be trouble.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordias are beautiful. Look up kp aquatics for good ones. Have you thought about rock flowers? One of the easiest nems and every color is available.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

0831191559.jpg

1127211115a.jpg

They sure did! It's interesting, Mine just take over by an occasional split, but mainly growing huge and covering up other corals that way.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordias are beautiful. Look up kp aquatics for good ones. Have you thought about rock flowers? One of the easiest nems and every color is available.
I would love one of those but I am bit scared that they will eat some fish sooner or later.
On the other hand I have a porcelain crab which is hosting my torch at the moment, so a decent partner for him would be nice (and for my poor torch as well).

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love one of those but I am bit scared that they will eat some fish sooner or later.
On the other hand I have a porcelain crab which is hosting my torch at the moment, so a decent partner for him would be nice (and for my poor torch as well).
I don't think RFAs are that known for eating fish, at least not nearly as likely as something like a carpet anemone. I had a huge RFA for a couple of years that was a model citizen.

This was right after feeding him. He was the size of a softball at this point.
0610202106c.jpg

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think RFAs are that known for eating fish, at least not nearly as likely as something like a carpet anemone. I had a huge RFA for a couple of years that was a model citizen.

This was right after feeding him. He was the size of a softball at this point.
0610202106c.jpg
They look quite evil XD but very beautiful. Do they go for walks around the rockwork like BTAs?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you ask because I had two. The one in the picture I put in that spot and he never moved and nearly quadrupled in size. I bought another one a bit later and put him next to the first one and he moved all over the place. However despite all his movement he never hurt anything else in the tank. Eventually I lost track of him and he either withered away or is still lurking somewhere in the tank.

The big orange one from my photo unfortunately caught a frogspawn polyp in his mouth that had ejected from the colony. He started to wither away and popped off the rock. I was worried he might pollute the tank so I removed him. Really tough choice to make and I kind of wish I had given him a chance to pull through.

This was totally my fault though, as it was after a long period of neglect of the tank which was probably what caused the polyp bailout from the frogspawn in the first place.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't eat any animals. You can feed them but you don't have to. I've had 2 successful spawns in one tank since August. RFAs are easy and colorful plus you may end up with babies!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back