EcoBak Pellet Journey

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine in yesterday, and got them running in the reactor today. I will post updates as go.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The output is going to my skimmer, there are some pictures of it in the beinging of this thread.

Thanks I missed that pic. I wonder if it makes a difference with the output being above the surface like yours or below the surface a few inches right next to the skimmer pump input?

Bruno

MEMBER OF THE ELITE FORCE
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one having trouble with flow with Phosban 150??? I took the sponges out and put the plastic screen in and I can only get half of the chamber to tumble??

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I added another 1/4 amount of the EB for a total 500ml. Phosphate is already reading 0ppm using salifert. No3 different story only a change of about 5ppm from 20ppm to 15ppm using salifert. ( will do a WC this weekend )
Keeping fingers crossed:
No algae blooms
I was at MACNA and had a chance to speak with Jon. The EB will take from 4-6 weeks to fully colonize. As we add more EB it will displace some water in the reactor which should allow the pellets to tumble better. That is what happened in my case. When I added another 250ml the EB tumbled even better in the Next Reef MR1.
BTW one of the speakers touched on skimming, GFC and pellets. He indicated that the combo was extremely beneficial. He also indicated that a taller narrower reactor was better than a shorter wider reactor. Since this was at the very end of the speakers presentation he couldn't get into showing us all his research to back up what he stated.
At the conference the EB and the Bio pellets from the other companies were definitely a topic of conversation.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys think I could get my MJ1200 to run my BRS reactor of GAC then over to the TLF150 with 300mL of the pellet and back to the tank? Or should I pick up another separate MJ1200?

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I am starting to see more clumping of the EB. Two possibilities from what I am thinking.
1. The flow isn't enough with the current pump
(currently it is supposed to run at 132 gph)
2. I noticed inside the reactor a lot of extra debris, including some white scum like looking thing. I am not running any kind of filter sock so I will add one this weekend.
On the plus side glass is looking very clean!

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok week three and placing the 3rd - 250 ml of the EB. So far no undesirable algae blooms! I also bought another pump, a SYNCRA 3.0 pump by Sicce. They were at MACNA and I was impressed by the display and the fact that I can control its output. The new pump really does a much better job at tumbling the pellets.
I also added a filter sock. While a few reefers note that the filter socks keep a lot of the particles and food substances for corals I also know that the reactor was also full of debris. Which could also block water flow along the bottom and top crates. Which would prohibit EB from tumbling.
My question is, any of you running EB also running filter socks? If not what is your reason? If yes why?

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GFO is almost out and considering pellets..I have a BRS reactor and still running GFC. How much should I start with? I'll be using a mj1200 for both reactors. Thanks!

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the 60 day mark & P is zero N is stuck at 25ppm. Never could get P to zero with GFO so it is a great product, hope N will slowly creep down.

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using pellets also seeding bacteria with the likes of MB7, Prodibio Biodigest, etc? It appears a lot of people are just hooking up the Ecobak or whichever pellets in a reactor and that's it. Since Ecobak is a carbon source (as is vodka, vinegar, sugar, etc) and most people dosing vodka, etc. continue to supplement with MB7, Biodigest, etc., wouldn't it make sense that you'd do the same with Ecobak or other pellets? For instance, what about older tanks that probably have depleted and/or little bacterial diversity in their systems? Wouldn't it help to introduce some fresh, new strains like those found in MB7 and Biodigest, and continue to supplement from time to time??

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys a bit of news.
After 3 weeks and 2 days and 1 liter of EB my No3 is .02 and Po4 is at 0.
I am using Salifert test kits. I will purchase those new Hanna digi readers for Alk and Phos. Drummer1 aren't you using one?
I have no algea blooms and water is crystal clear. I have had to clean glass only once per week. I am usually a broadcast type feeder for fish and corals.
I turned off all pumps and was getting ready to feed when I looked from the top down. I swear I had good sps coloration but I can say that some of my colors are really popping out.
It will be great to see how EB does for us in the long run.
I THINK it is time for EB successful reefers out there start to show off their EB reef tanks.
From inception of this thread there are many of you who I am sure have already taken some before and after shots.
Come on show' em!

DarkSephiroth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running 500ml for a 80G with a 30G sump. I was dosing MB7+vodka, and now i reduced it slowly day by day. I have a 396GPH pump pumping into the SMR1 reactor and the pellets are tumbling very nicely. The return is going into my sock next to the skimmer. Been running it for about 2 weeks now and everything is great. No algae, corals are doing great

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no ongoing MB7, Biodigest, etc. supplementation with pellets?? (whereas almost all vodka, vsv, etc dosers I read about continue to use bacterial supplementation) Can someone please explain why? I mean, both vodka/vsv and pellets are a carbon source to feed bacteria. What is special or different about the pellets that would cause you to not need maintenance bacterial supplementation like you do with vodka/vsv?

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using pellets also seeding bacteria with the likes of MB7, Prodibio Biodigest, etc? It appears a lot of people are just hooking up the Ecobak or whichever pellets in a reactor and that's it. Since Ecobak is a carbon source (as is vodka, vinegar, sugar, etc) and most people dosing vodka, etc. continue to supplement with MB7, Biodigest, etc., wouldn't it make sense that you'd do the same with Ecobak or other pellets? For instance, what about older tanks that probably have depleted and/or little bacterial diversity in their systems? Wouldn't it help to introduce some fresh, new strains like those found in MB7 and Biodigest, and continue to supplement from time to time??
With the brightwell's katalyst (their version) they suggest using 1ml per 20g mb7 every day to seed it for the first 4 weeks I'm also dropping the amount of vod I dose to 3/4 ml and I'm also dosing 4ml a day of microbelift's special blend a day so we'll see what happens I already am running 0 no3 and po4 from the vodka Mb7 so I hope the pellets will keep up but I'm going to continue dosing vod/mb7/special blend after the bp is seeded I mean if this is about feeding the bacteria let's feed it huh?

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
System seems to be doing good PE has improved as has coloration. I am having to clean my glass about once a week now instead of twice a week before. I will try to get some shots today.

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys think I could get my MJ1200 to run my BRS reactor of GAC then over to the TLF150 with 300mL of the pellet and back to the tank? Or should I pick up another separate MJ1200?

I'm sure you wouldn't get enough flow once your carbon started getting clogged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no ongoing MB7, Biodigest, etc. supplementation with pellets?? (whereas almost all vodka, vsv, etc dosers I read about continue to use bacterial supplementation) Can someone please explain why? I mean, both vodka/vsv and pellets are a carbon source to feed bacteria. What is special or different about the pellets that would cause you to not need maintenance bacterial supplementation like you do with vodka/vsv?
I would love to hear the answer to this myself...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back