Ecotech’s SECRET grease

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what type of grease is used when Ecotech ship Vortechs? New ones always seem much quieter, and after an eventual cleaning with some vinegar (avoiding the magnet part) the powerhead have no more grease and are distinctly noiser. I don't know why I can't get this info directly, so am looking for your best guess.

Any thoughts?

KAvk2Id.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
because failure has been their success. They're always ready to sell you something rather than see us succeed thoroughly.
Too many readings of people blamed by them for mechanical failure than admit they have process and equipment flaws and are ready to sell a replacement than to retain a happy customer

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because failure has been their success. They're always ready to sell you something rather than see us succeed thoroughly.
Too many readings of people blamed by them for mechanical failure than admit they have process and equipment flaws and are ready to sell a replacement than to retain a happy customer

This was a brand new replacement after my other one started rusting after a few months. I just want to know what grease it is, so I can maintain my other wet sides. They won’t answer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This was a brand new replacement after my other one started rusting after a few months. I just want to know what grease it is, so I can maintain my other wet sides. They won’t answer.
Im not surprised. wish I could respect them more but after 2-3 years of observing what they've become. . . . . . .

SMH.gif

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not surprised. wish I could respect them more but after 2-3 years of observing what they've become. . . . . . .

SMH.gif

Meh, that’s pretty pessimistic. I love their lights, and customer service is great. I think vinegar might be to blame for the pump rusting.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be food safe silicone grease, I used it for my O-ring on my reactor. Something like this:
DANCO Waterproof Food Grade Silicone Grease for O-Rings

But...... then why can’t they say it’s silicone grease and link the correct type?

Last edited:

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, the people that you have talked to do not know. I legitimately use that stuff on everything, bushings on my gyre, pump shaft on my cheap water mover during maintenance, car windows, kitchen aid mixer.

I use the stuff I posted and:
CRC 03040 Food Grade Silicone Lubricant, (Net Weight: 10 oz) 16oz Aerosol , Clear/White

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vegetable glycerin is another i heard another reefer use for the shaft maintenance/issue.

i am a little perplex myself on this topic. i just like to keep the equipment running as design.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two MP40's that are still in the box waiting to figure out how to get my tank in the house, I hope I do not regret the purchase IF they are playing games.

In theory the grease could be like assembly lube, and then water lubricated after. I just want to know what it is :)

I bet if we get enough people asking them.... ;)

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're still one of the best pumps on the market.

I think that sentence needs an "*" at the end. Like, the best pump with no motor in the tank perhaps. They are certainly not the most cost effective wave makers, nor the most reliable. But gotta love the small form factor and external motor...

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that sentence needs an "*" at the end. Like, the best pump with no motor in the tank perhaps. They are certainly not the most cost effective wave makers, nor the most reliable. But gotta love the small form factor and external motor...
F6EC9C1D-A054-4B0D-B732-A4893483236B.gif

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad you started this thread. I have a mp10wes I haven't used in years. I think I will take it apart and grease it. Good to do maintenance if you not in use.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back