Ecotech’s SECRET grease

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering this question as well as I've had some damage to the ceramic bearing on a couple MP60 and figure lubrication may reduce the risk of it happening to the others.

I found this on another thread. Sounds like we could be worrying over nothing

I had asked them this exact question in feb 2015 and here is the response I received

"Nick,
Any silicone grease that we use probably would have gone away during the operation in your aquarium. We use a very specific silicone grease in our units to assist with the break in period. It is not necessary for long term use and we use it as a temporary lubrication. The silicone grease that we use is reef safe and it is actually used in brain surgery.

Regards,

Customer Service Rep"

I used regular silicone grease and it worked just fine, been over a year since I used it and still dead silent.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meh, that’s pretty pessimistic. I love their lights, and customer service is great. I think vinegar might be to blame for the pump rusting.

How could that be? I have some of the older MP40s and have used vinegar on it hundreds of times and it never rusted, it is only the new quiet drive pumps rusting. Something changed in the manufacturing if it is vinegar. I use vinigar to clean all my pumps for over 30 years in the reef hobby and never has any of my other pumps rusted. Not only that there are those that also have the shaft rusting on the MP-40's since they switched from i think was ceramic.

The Grease looks like silicon grease..

Last edited:

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp10ws i had stored for some 10 years, i gave them a quick bath when i got back into the hobby and away they went, no issues for over a year till i upgraded. they sit back in the same tub they came out of they were stored in 10 years ago. but seriously i didnt lube or change anything, plug and play hooked up to the apex and walla just worked.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp10ws i had stored for some 10 years, i gave them a quick bath when i got back into the hobby and away they went, no issues for over a year till i upgraded. they sit back in the same tub they came out of they were stored in 10 years ago. but seriously i didnt lube or change anything, plug and play hooked up to the apex and walla just worked.

Thats not really my point.

My question is why they refuse to answer what type of grease it is?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not really my point.

My question is why they refuse to answer what type of grease it is?

Because they aren't required to :p Good luck tracking it down, I'm interested in the results if you don't let it go.

Are these made in the US? If not, the answer may be they truly don't know what specific grease is being used other than broadly saying silicon and it sounds better to say it's special or proprietary.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the grease they use. It's called silicone grease. Now we can let them keep blaming vinegar for their special proprietary rustproof magnets.

Should I bother buying it or no? I have 2 mp-10s and love maintaining equipment, does the lube matter even though it will come off rather quickly

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I bother buying it or no? I have 2 mp-10s and love maintaining equipment, does the lube matter even though it will come off rather quickly

Don't ask me. I have two pumps and a gen 4 XR30W that I'm waiting to get back from them now. Apparently saltwater makes the magnets rust also.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guys here turned me onto this, I purchased a tube for 20$ and it will last me ten years. BTW I use some yesterday on a union seal ;) https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/...iterature/Downloaded-TDS/0901b803809b781e.pdf
1568314294247.png

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grease is there for the break in period. Doesn’t need to be lubricated.

What is the break in period, please? Is it due to the actual tight tolerances, or just to lubricate the first startup?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been fun and funny, but my MPs just keep pumping. Yeah, I panic if they have been soaking more than 6 hours, but they are still running 3-5 years later without issue. Are we saying those manufactured < 3 years ago are different? I lugged in a new tank today so will be ordering two more 40s so feedback sincerely appreciated.

Back