Ecotech equipment and how it performs in the tank

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people consider Ecotech's products to set the bar by which all products are judged. The story of how Ecotech was founded is unique and inspiring. I used to rave about Ecotech products and purchased darn-near anything they made. However, over the past two-years I've disbanded using their products (though I still implement the vectra return pump).

To me, the Vortech pumps have several Achilles heels. One, the way the pump mounts prevents any movement other than raising or lowering it on the glass. I found that in custom designed tanks it was impossible to achieve total tank circulation, even when implementing multiple vortechs. Another concern is that since metal halide lighting isn't commonly in use, there is no longer a direct need to prevent pump created heat from entering the water. In fact, it's more efficient today to mount a pump in the water so the heat it generates can help warm the water, reducing the amount of time the heater runs. It's for these reasons (plus lack of innovation in the Vortech's features, aside from the quiet drive) that made me switch to another circulation pump.

I had very poor coral growth and polyp extension under Ecotech Radion lighting. This was running three (3) generation three lights at 100% for ten hours, under a template designated for maximum coral growth. The light was flat and lifeless with little to no natural shimmer.

I still think Ecosmart Live is a great control software and I praise Ecotech for leading the pack when it comes to wireless, remote control technology. However, I am starting to wonder if Ecotech's products under-perform where it matters most, within the aquarium. I wondered what experiences other reef keepers have had with Ecotech products.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was expecting some pro ecotech anti hater comments. But maybe people come to their senses, eventually?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back