EcoTech Marine VorTech Cord Extensions

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads-up for those of you with EcoTech Marine VorTech pumps—I have controller boards that I mount all drivers and controllers to so that they are as far away from water as possible, but the cords for my VorTech pumps aren’t long enough to reach the controller board. There’s a guy, Dan Perdue at AquaLifeStudio, that makes extension cords of different lengths. I purchased two of the 8’ cords for from him, and I’m thrilled to say that they work perfectly!

The only task is to ensure the connection between the VorTech cord and the extension cord is protected from water since the VorTech cord’s wires are exposed, which you can see below.

98CC08AC-CC87-4494-878A-C5943E9150FC.jpeg

If you need to extend your VorTech cords, I wouldn’t hesitate to order them from Dan.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 as well. I did however add heatshrink and seal the the connection. I’d take a picture but it’s stuffed behind my tank.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 as well. I did however add heatshrink and seal the the connection. I’d take a picture but it’s stuffed behind my tank.
Ah, that’s a great idea. I’ll get some from the local hardware shop today. Thanks for sharing!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get it done properly by Ecotech I believe, for a fee, if you send them the unit. No exposed wiring connection

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get it done properly by Ecotech I believe, for a fee, if you send them the unit. No exposed wiring connection
I prefer to support hobbyists when possible. I think the fee for EcoTech Marine to do it is $30, which isn’t bad, but the cost would be nearly the same after accounting for shipping and modifications of both pumps. Also, by ordering the AquaLifeStudio cords, I can easily change out cords of different lengths if that is needed in the future. Lastly, I don’t have to go without both pumps for a week or however long it takes for EcoTech to receive them, perform the modifications, and ship them back.

I definitely advocate for supporting businesses and hobbyists, but my preference is to support hobbyists when I can. :)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to support hobbyists when possible. I think the fee for EcoTech Marine to do it is $30, which isn’t bad, but the cost would be nearly the same after accounting for shipping and modifications of both pumps. Also, by ordering the AquaLifeStudio cords, I can easily change out cords of different lengths if that is needed in the future. Lastly, I don’t have to go without both pumps for a week or however long it takes for EcoTech to receive them, perform the modifications, and ship them back.

I definitely advocate for supporting businesses and hobbyists, but my preference is to support hobbyists when I can. :)

I advocate supporting hobbyists too- its just an electrical safely thing. To me, that is not okay.

If that connection got wet and caused a fire (Which would not be very surprising when water drips down the cord into the connection), you would not be covered by insurance after they see it. It's an improper, DIY connection that is not even remotely water resistant.

Im not exaggerating. Post in the electrical forums and see what people think.

I am honestly surprised that they even sell that extension- its a pretty easy way to get sued.

Everyone makes their own choices.... but I think it is a poor one :). Ecotech does it safely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I advocate supporting hobbyists too- its just an electrical safely thing. To me, that is not okay.

If that connection got wet and caused a fire (Which would not be very surprising when water drips down the cord into the connection), you would not be covered by insurance after they see it. It's an improper, DIY connection that is not even remotely water resistant.

Im not exaggerating. Post in the electrical forums and see what people think.

I am honestly surprised that they even sell that extension- its a pretty easy way to get sued.

Everyone makes their own choices.... but I think it is a poor one :). Ecotech does it safely.
Oh, I don’t disagree that the connection needs to be safer. I plan to remedy that the best that I can. It helps that the connections are ~6ft. away from water and have drip loops, but I do plan to wrap and cover the connections.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, ecotech charges $50. Also there are several threads that cover all the parts on how to DIY this too. I know Dan had a thread on it as well.

Just like anything, it’s really a users choice. Make it, buy it premade or have Ecotech make it. For me it was cheaper to buy the premade, If I bought all the parts, crimp tool and shipping it would have exceeded that cost. Also I wasn’t willing to give Ecotech more money for their coffers.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the wired connection is in an area that may see contact with water, I've always suggested electrical tape and/or heatshrink to wrap the connector. A number of our customers have done just that and I've shared these items when asked.

By the way, DO NOT SUBMERGE THE CONNECTOR INTO WATER. =)

Ecotech's solution starts at $50 for an 8 foot extension plus you get to pay shipping both ways, likely raising to $60-$70. The option is there for those who want it. Enjoy a longer cable either way.

-Dan

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 113 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 130 48.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.0%
Back