Ecotech vortec with apex system vs apex ready wav pump?

randyadammartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
I currently have a ecotech mp40qd that is only a few months old. When I bought this I never planned on a full Neptune apex system.

What I wanted to hear from folks that have “downgraded” their mp firmware to support the

VORTECH/RADION WIRELESS EXPANSION MODULE :: WXM​

Was their any downside ?

vs.

selling the ecotech mp40qd and choosing a “apex ready” wav pump. Maybee a tunze or Neptune wav pump.

Pros/cons?

thank you,
Randy

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you already have the WXM. If not, it’s been discontinued, may be hard to find (or at a premium on eBay), thus making your question moot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

randyadammartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I think their may be some confusion. I don’t have to use the eccotech vortex wav pump. I am open to alternatives. If it makes more sense to sell it and replace it with something that can be controlled by the apex 1-10v port I am open to that.

My only requirement is that whatever I get I want it hooked into the apex Neptune ecosystem.

.... as for finding the WXM I understand that it’s discontinued “new” from Neptune systems, however there are plenty floating around popular auction sites. IF I do go this route is there a specific firmware or revision the WXM module needs to be to work with the Neptune apex 2016?

IF anyone is using the WXM module to control the ecotech wav pumps I’d love to hear your experiences.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do seem a bit confused LOL.

WXM works just fine with the 2016 apex. Firmware doesn’t really matter because you can easily update the module once connected. I cannot speak to the process of downgrading the mobius capable (newer) vortech pumps, but there is a tutorial on the ETM site on how to do it. Vortech pumps work very well with WXM though - I have maxed mine out with 11 pumps.

You seem to be conflating ‘vortex’ with ‘wav’. The WAV pumps are the Neptune branded power heads, and they work seamlessly with the 2016 apex. You just need either a 1link module or a couple of available 24v outlets on your EB832. The WAV pumps work fine, but I personally prefer the vortechs.

As to variable control of other pumps with the VDM-type outlets, cannot say as I have never tried.

lucky7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the vortechs and apex , I chose to just program my mp40’s through the reef link and be done with it. Haven’t touched the program in many years. Get the power head you like most . You don’t have to run them off the apex. You can also control the vortechs through the möbius app these days

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back