Ecotech vs Maxspect, Water Movement

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is SOOO much talk about which is better, Gyre or MP's. It occurred to me, and I'm certain others, that the obvious solution is one of each. I just hooked up the gyre, as I already had an MP40 on my 93g corner tank. Upon powering it up, I was shocked at how much crude was loosened. Having both really is the best of both worlds.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like someone else mentioned the cleaning of the gyre is a PITA, I have both the maxspect and an MP10 and I much prefer cleaning the MP but as far as flow goes the gyre moves water way better for me. I use both in my cube though. Speaking of which my gyre is due for a vinegar bath ;Inpain

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MP40 was quieter and easier to clean. It also had no electricity in the water.

I can't say it moved less water, but to accomplish the same water movement as running my gyre at 20% required the MP40 at 50%. And at 50% with all the water coming out at a single point it blew fish around pretty hard if they crossed the stream. I no longer use the MP40. I only use the gyre. So I guess that says it all.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my reefer 250 (3') tank with a single mp40. It worked but I wasn't satisfied. I added a gyre and kept the mp40 on the tank. I liked the mp40 because it was easy to clean and silent, but for my tank the gyre wins. With such a short distance the wide flow out of the gyre works best for me. I'm now running two gyre 230's on my tank.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my reefer 250 (3') tank with a single mp40. It worked but I wasn't satisfied. I added a gyre and kept the mp40 on the tank. I liked the mp40 because it was easy to clean and silent, but for my tank the gyre wins. With such a short distance the wide flow out of the gyre works best for me. I'm now running two gyre 230's on my tank.

I very well might take the same path. So far as design goes I prefer the MP40 by far, but for function the Gyre wins. I'll see how I feel a month from now and might replace the MP40. I never thought I'd do that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back