EcoTech XR15 Diffuser Review

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice review!
One thing that I did not like and immediately notice was the amount of light bleed vs before the diffusers.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice review!
One thing that I did not like and immediately notice was the amount of light bleed vs before the diffusers.
It does bleed more for sure. I’m thinking we may wind up all needing to lower our lights. They don’t need to be so high when the light is better distributed, I would think.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good video. Its bizarre they didn't match the plastic finish to the fixture itself.
Thanks. Agreed! For a company that clearly focuses on the form factor of their products this seems like a pretty big slip. Maybe that’s what the delay was about? Trying to get the right finish but they couldn’t?

Curious....Why the drop in the center?? Seems like that should have increased as well??
My assumption is the increase at the corners comes from the light getting more widely dispersed now. With just the puck the light really focuses just down. The diffuser will surely block some light though since it isn’t clear and that’s causing the drop in the center.

studentdriver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I received my Ecotech Diffuser a few days ago. The diffuser is just a very thin sheet of plastic, mine came with a cut in the diffuser sheet. I'm returning it back to BRS.

Instead I decided to use a diffuser that I took off of a Philips BR-40 LED bulb and it's a perfect fit under the XR-15. I think it works at least as well as the Ecotech diffuser to my eyes. I did NOT compare PAR from both diffusers. Below is a link to the bulb if anyone is interested in saving yourself some money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094BDB8...t=&hvlocphy=9015414&hvtargid=pla-309000776104

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @TheEngineer -- I'm interested in any update you have on this after using for a week.
I really like it. I can’t express enough how much I despised the color banding before. It is nearly gone now and I need to look for it to notice it. The shimmer you’d expect from LED is still there but it is subdued quite a bit. Still happy with the purchase.

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these ment for the G4 lights as well? I know with the new lenses in the G4 line the colors are much more blended and you don' get the disco effect

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take PAR and Spectrum readings that would be very helpful to us all.
If you own either or both device and want to send them my way I’d be happy to take those measurments :)

Da Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you own either or both device and want to send them my way I’d be happy to take those measurments :)
LOL hence why I said, "If you can." Maybe the local reef club in your area may have some equipment for loan ;) Explain it is in the pursuit of science. :) If I knew you better I would seriously have no problem with bringing mine over.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL hence why I said, "If you can." Maybe the local reef club in your area may have some equipment for loan ;) Explain it is in the pursuit of science. :) If I knew you better I would seriously have no problem with bringing mine over.
Actually I’m the president of my local club. We’re a small club so we don’t have much equipment. We had a par meter but someone dropped it in their tank. The plan is to buy a new one this year. Although with the latest video from BRS our plan to get the new Apogee might change.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these ment for the G4 lights as well? I know with the new lenses in the G4 line the colors are much more blended and you don' get the disco effect

That's not true at all, it may be better but I have a G4, the discoball lives.

here's a top down still shot, look at the color banding -- My G4 is 14" above the water
IMG_20180112_180407538-01.jpg

Back