Eel habitat

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eel habitats... I’m trying to get ideas for my upgrade. I have a 3’ zebra eel and want to make a good habitat for her. I’m thinking pvc under the sand, but not sure what size. I’ve read that it needs to be big enough for her to turn around but small enough for her to feel safe. And then that has to be covered with sand... [emoji51]. I have to also make sure there is good flow/circulation through(?) the tunnels. Ideas? Thoughts? Anyone have experience with these?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pvc for my ribbon eel, but otherwise I don't like using pvc. I would cement some rock structures to provide at least 2, preferably 3 opening to the expanse of the tank. The cons of pvc to me are that to properly do it, you would need at least a 4" pvc, hiding that is not easy, and detritus will settle in the pipe no matter what. Caution though, with a eel that size, you really need to make sure your rockwork is secure. So some will use the pvc as support, although I still believe unnecessary.

OP
OP

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, I’m beginning to lean that way also. It’s a good idea for a smaller eel, But she will be good with some rock caves. I got some Reef saver and pukani rock I can chip to make some caves for her

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my jeweled's favorite spot, his sleeping den is at the far left.

031.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back