Eel questions

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a place where I could look for that stuff?
A lot of places carry those specific types of macro, but here's a few:

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of places carry those specific types of macro, but here's a few:
Okay cool! Looked through those. Ive never tried this stuff or know much about it, do you put these in the display tank for them to pick on or how does that work?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool! Looked through those. Ive never tried this stuff or know much about it, do you put these in the display tank for them to pick on or how does that work?

You can use an algae clip, plant it around the tank as some find it attractive, take some and rubber band it to a rock pebble and drop it in or even place it strategically around the tank. If you get a supply that you don't want to plant around the tank, you place it in the sump with a small inexpensive refugium light and use it on demand. Another tip; fresh seafood in the diet also. I have witnessed many cases of hlle reversal with the inclusion of fresh seafood and live macro. While there may be other contributing factors, I believe diet the foundation. Most cases of hlle I've investigated came from the lack of viable algae, and no, nori does not cut it. These fish also benefit from the micro algae growing in more mature tanks. While tangs will eat meat, and do need the protein sources and other elements that come from meat; they are herbivores, and require a dominant inclusion of algae.

EDIT: Did I see a naso tang, the sargassum(brown) algae is part of their natural diet.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that a lot of herbivores will completely devour these things if you put them in the display, so some people like to grow them in a refugium or sump, trim them occasionally, and add the trimmings to the display.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use an algae clip, plant it around the tank as some find it attractive, take some and rubber band it to a rock pebble and drop it in or even place it strategically around the tank. If you get a supply that you don't want to plant around the tank, you place it in the sump with a small inexpensive refugium light and use it on demand. Another tip; fresh seafood in the diet also. I have witnessed many cases of hlle reversal with the inclusion of fresh seafood and live macro. While there may be other contributing factors, I believe diet the foundation. Most cases of hlle I've investigated came from the lack of viable algae, and no, nori does not cut it. These fish also benefit from the micro algae growing in more mature tanks. While tangs will eat meat, and do need the protein sources and other elements that come from meat; they are herbivores, and require a dominant inclusion of algae.

EDIT: Did I see a naso tang, the sargassum(brown) algae is part of their natural diet.
I dont have a naso in that tank but I do have a baby one in my other tank. Im caring for him while my cousin gets his tank squared away, he is having all kinds of issues and needed a place for him for a few months. I feed different kinds of frozen algae cubes to them. Any brand that you know of that has that brown algae in there?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont have a naso in that tank but I do have a baby one in my other tank. Im caring for him while my cousin gets his tank squared away, he is having all kinds of issues and needed a place for him for a few months. I feed different kinds of frozen algae cubes to them. Any brand that you know of that has that brown algae in there?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a while ago I did buy a HOB refrigium (however that spelled lol). Could I hang that on the back of my sump to grow the algae and plants or just set up them in the sump? Anything special I need to do for the sump (sand, rock, ect?)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a while ago I did buy a HOB refrigium (however that spelled lol). Could I hang that on the back of my sump to grow the algae and plants or just set up them in the sump? Anything special I need to do for the sump (sand, rock, ect?)
I haven't looked into macro cultivation much at all yet, but a HOB refugium or sump should both work.

I know Ulva can be grown "anchored" (i.e. in the sand or attached to a rock) or tumbled; I'm not sure on the other two, but I'd assume anchoring would be a safe bet.

Hopefully lion king will have some specific advice on growing them, but if not, I'd ask in the macroalgae forum.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure how your hob refuge installs, just install to specifications, it will just need to fit where your sump is and be able to pull water through. In the sump you just need a basket of sorts or a way to protect it from any pumps like the skimmer or clogging up any pre-filters before the return pump. Some make baskets with egg crates. Then you need a light, you can find one to fit your hob or there are also submersible ones, I love the Tunze submersible refuge light, I also have the Innovative Marine refuge light on my biocube. I like the Tunze better, but there are many less expensive options. Some people swear by the red ones, I like 6500k white just as well. No sand or rock; some add rock if they are also cultivating pods.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how your hob refuge installs, just install to specifications, it will just need to fit where your sump is and be able to pull water through. In the sump you just need a basket of sorts or a way to protect it from any pumps like the skimmer or clogging up any pre-filters before the return pump. Some make baskets with egg crates. Then you need a light, you can find one to fit your hob or there are also submersible ones, I love the Tunze submersible refuge light, I also have the Innovative Marine refuge light on my biocube. I like the Tunze better, but there are many less expensive options. Some people swear by the red ones, I like 6500k white just as well. No sand or rock; some add rock if they are also cultivating pods.
Okay cool! I will do more research on that. Anything to keep my tangs (and other fish) healthy as possible is worth it! Love them all

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back