Eel suggestions

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am having trouble deciding on what eel I want to get for my 90 gallon, and I was looking for any suggestions on what types of eels are out there. I like researching the different types of fish/eels and would like to know more about all the different eels out there. I am open to any suggestions, and appreciate all of them. Thank you

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not personally familiar with eels, but my brother has had a snowflake eel for years. From my understanding, they tend to be fairly hardy, inexpensive, BEAUTIFUL, and are less aggressive than most eels. It should also be a good fit for your tank.

Be warned though. Any inverts will become eel food.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah. From what I've heard, all eels are escape artists. You'll probably want a tight fitting lid of some sort.

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah. From what I've heard, all eels are escape artists. You'll probably want a tight fitting lid of some sort.
Okay, there won’t be ably inverts because it will be a predator tank with tightly fitted tops but I was actually between the snowflake and the chain link eel as of right now. I really love the colors of the snowflake but also feel like they are faily common. I was also looking at the green wolf eel but don’t like the fact that they’re not an actual eel... ughh, decisions decisions.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked up the chainlink eel. Really nice looking. It's kinda strange. The Snowflake gets 2' and minimum suggested tank size is 50 gallons, and the chainlink gets 2'4" and minimum suggested tank size is 125 gallons. Could be the chainlink is more active?

abbypoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a ribbon eel in person the other day and they are amazing! One issue I've read about is that they can sometimes refuse to eat. But if you find one that eats and is happy in your tank, they're really awesome.

1581029698249.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
chain is cool very active swimmer ,zebra are nice mellower side

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that the ribbon eels require pristine water conditions. Might be kinda hard to maintain in a predator tank.

jamie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
avoid the ribbon eel 100% unless you have kept extremely difficult fish in the past. I have owned or own about 13 species of eels. Currently have a ghost eel in my reef tank and hes doing amazingly well. If you are putting this eel in a reef with community fish then I would go snowflake or ghost. If you are putting this into an aggressive tank then snowflake or chainlink. The yellow head , green, tessellated are all great but tend to get size really fast. either way have fun with it,

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you upgrade to a 125 plus
zebra moray zebra moray zebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra morayzebra moray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am having trouble deciding on what eel I want to get for my 90 gallon, and I was looking for any suggestions on what types of eels are out there. I like researching the different types of fish/eels and would like to know more about all the different eels out there. I am open to any suggestions, and appreciate all of them. Thank you

I had a white eyed morey (gray face) And a snowflake in the past (separate times). They were both great. Super hardy and easy to care for. Eels are great. Lots of fun. Dirty though so be aware. Both I was able to keep with other fish. Just added them last and kept them fed a few times a week.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
zebra will be fine in a 48" tank for a long time just buy young

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back