effects of too much lighting on sps?

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a 5 hour photo period is too short, that could be one of the reasons your corals don't have good color. Most people keep a short photo period to keep the electricity bill down or to keep algae from growing. We run our bulbs 10 hrs a day with 400w 20k Radium bulbs on 14" deep tanks and out corals are very happy. Keeping nitrates at 0 and water temps below 78 makes a huge difference.

And milleporas are not low light corals. Of all the corals I keep they like the strongest light. They can tolerate lower lighting, but I have found their color to be best under high light. Purple digitata also will have the strongest color under high light.

What kind of bulb do you have? If you have cheapy bulbs that can make a major difference as well. We were using Reeflux bulbs last year and they tend to let out uv as the bulbs degrade. This caused some major issues with all of our corals, especially our montiporas.

OP
OP
110reef

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using reef Optic 14K 400 W MH's combined with (4) 424 VHO's. The halides are on for 5 hours, but the VHO's are on for 16 hours.

Also a 5 hour photo period is too short, that could be one of the reasons your corals don't have good color. Most people keep a short photo period to keep the electricity bill down or to keep algae from growing. We run our bulbs 10 hrs a day with 400w 20k Radium bulbs on 14" deep tanks and out corals are very happy. Keeping nitrates at 0 and water temps below 78 makes a huge difference.

And milleporas are not low light corals. Of all the corals I keep they like the strongest light. They can tolerate lower lighting, but I have found their color to be best under high light. Purple digitata also will have the strongest color under high light.

What kind of bulb do you have? If you have cheapy bulbs that can make a major difference as well. We were using Reeflux bulbs last year and they tend to let out uv as the bulbs degrade. This caused some major issues with all of our corals, especially our montiporas.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back