Egg problems with tomato clowns

Bruce7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tomato clowns that have been spawning for 6 months. I raised them from juveniles, i would hate to separate them, if my problem is genetics. My problem is that when the eggs are ready to hatch they just fall off the substrate. They are still encased in their egg casing and die. Only a few survive hatching. I was thinking it was nutrition, but I stepped up their diet, it didn't work, I even gave them Selcon. Could it be genetics, they are brother and sister.
Please help, thank you.

OP
OP
B

Bruce7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the eggs are on the bottom of the tank and they're silver from the eyes developing?
Yes they are fully developed, it seems that they are stuck in their egg casing, with the tail sticking out. They push outward from the substrate and settle on the bottom, they can't swim because they're stuck in the casing.

Upvote 0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not off hand, but I would continue ot look at your concern about diet being a possibility. An obvious second wold be water parameters. You said you uped the feed but what did that entail? Maybe research the forums to find someone who's successfully raising them and find out what they feed and what their water parameters are. You might also look up Martin Moe's book "Breeding the Orchid Dottyback" to see what he feeds the parents. I wouldn't expecti it to be very different from clowns.

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, not ruling genetics out, but what all and how often are you feeding them, and can you tell us about both the water parameters and the tank/equipment?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bruce7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not off hand, but I would continue ot look at your concern about diet being a possibility. An obvious second wold be water parameters. You said you uped the feed but what did that entail? Maybe research the forums to find someone who's successfully raising them and find out what they feed and what their water parameters are. You might also look up Martin Moe's book "Breeding the Orchid Dottyback" to see what he feeds the parents. I wouldn't expecti it to be very different from clowns.
Thanks for your help. I feed them them usually once a day, but that is a heavy feeding, the female gets really fat. Sometimes I feed 3 times a day. They really like frozen brineshrimp, small pellets, grated shrimp from the grocery store, flakes. I think some form of spurlina would help. Salinity is 1.026. Water quality is good, I have no test results, I just do large water changes, 30% every two weeks. Thanks for mentioning that, I didn't think that would be an issue, water quality. I just started feeding freeze dryed shrimp, loaded with selcon and nori (used in sushi). The first batch I bought to hatch had bright red yokes in the egg casing. They hatched and lived for three days. All other batches don't have the bright red yokes,and they don't survive past hatch day. Thanks

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help. I feed them them usually once a day, but that is a heavy feeding, the female gets really fat. Sometimes I feed 3 times a day. They really like frozen brineshrimp, small pellets, grated shrimp from the grocery store, flakes. I think some form of spurlina would help. Salinity is 1.026. Water quality is good, I have no test results, I just do large water changes, 30% every two weeks. Thanks for mentioning that, I didn't think that would be an issue, water quality. I just started feeding freeze dryed shrimp, loaded with selcon and nori (used in sushi). The first batch I bought to hatch had bright red yokes in the egg casing. They hatched and lived for three days. All other batches don't have the bright red yokes,and they don't survive past hatch day. Thanks

I would test the water

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them them usually once a day, but that is a heavy feeding, the female gets really fat. Sometimes I feed 3 times a day.
I don't know if it would help in this case, but I'd try upping it to feeding three times each day too:
As I understand it, the main things are proper feeding (probably several times a day) and making sure there's nothing stressing the fish out. From there, you pretty much leave them alone and they spawn.

I don't know what you're feeding, but from what I've seen with others, I'd recommend trying LRS Fertility Frenzy, black worms, and NLS or TDO pellets (Otohime is a proven brand too, but it seems to have fallen out of favor somewhat in recent months/years) for the food. Adding enriched Rotifers and pods/BBS wouldn't hurt either - and you'll need to culture the rots for the baby clowns anyway. Fresh clams are pretty much always a good idea too. That said, the feeding doesn't have to be overly complex or expensive (Paul B fed clams and blackworms and had spawning), the above is just what I've seen work for a large number of people.

Beyond that, I've heard the following tips from at least one breeder (no guarantees these would work for/help you, but it's what I've heard from a couple of confirmed breeders): clowns like dirtier water, a 14 hour light period, slightly lower salinity (1.020), and a higher temp (80-82F).

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to be better at keeping water quality high (in the parents tank), see if that helps.

I would just test to see. The reason being it can help eliminate one variable. No clue if it would be a water quality issue or not.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bruce7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it would help in this case, but I'd try upping it to feeding three times each day too:
Thanks for your help. My tomato clowns are not heavy eaters, after the first feeding they seem to be not as interested. It could be there not use to 3 to 7 feedings a day or there water quality isn't good. I don't want to foul up the water with food they don't eat. I'll try to feed them a little more each day. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bruce7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how many clutches have done this.
Not unusual at all for several clutches at the start, to fail.
They have been laying eggs for 8 months, so that would be 2 clutches per month. 2x8=16 clutches. Interesting point. I was feeding the parents live brineshrimp, that gave me a clutch that went to 3 days past hatching. I just didn't have the rotifers to feed them.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back