Help.. 2 new clowns with Ich in QT, no meds available yet.

sensi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair of small tangerine albino storm clowns yesterday and put them in an observation QT tank that I had cycled. I have my copper power, Hannah copper checker, and prazipro on the way but it won’t be here until Friday, 4 days from now.

The clowns are starting to show a few ich spots that were not present when I purchased them yesterday. They were drip acclimated over 30 minutes after a 3 hour drive. They’re currently acting normal, active and eating like pigs. Will they make it until my medications get here or should I do something in the meantime to increase their chances? I do have an old bottle of Kordons ich attack if that would help until the copper gets here.

Tank is a 20l with two hang on backs and two airstones as well as a wave maker that I have off currently because it blows the tiny clowns all over.

Temp 79.5F

Salinity 1.026

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0-0.25

Nitrates 5

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought a pair of small tangerine albino storm clowns yesterday and put them in an observation QT tank that I had cycled. I have my copper power, Hannah copper checker, and prazipro on the way but it won’t be here until Friday, 4 days from now.

The clowns are starting to show a few ich spots that were not present when I purchased them yesterday. They were drip acclimated over 30 minutes after a 3 hour drive. They’re currently acting normal, active and eating like pigs. Will they make it until my medications get here or should I do something in the meantime to increase their chances? I do have an old bottle of Kordons ich attack if that would help until the copper gets here.

Tank is a 20l with two hang on backs and two airstones as well as a wave maker that I have off currently because it blows the tiny clowns all over.

Temp 79.5F

Salinity 1.026

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0-0.25

Nitrates 5
Ich or lesions?
Please post a couple of clear pics under white light intensity.
Are they breathing normal or elevated respirations?

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures to confirm ich?
You can watch the spots and how they spread. Generally it will take longer than a few days to get bad (but if you can get it earlier that would be best).
Hyposalinity is also a treatment option.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sensi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the best photos I can get, both have similar spots.

Their breathing is normal, as is their behavior currently.

Would the ich attack I have do anything to bridge the gap between now and Friday? Also would I have to lower the salinity over time? What’s the best speed to do that at?
IMG_6041.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6043.jpeg
    IMG_6043.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are doing the right thing in putting them through QT and with meds and copper checker on the way. I am sure the experts here will be able to advise on best course of action!

Upvote 1

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich to me.
Here’s an article on hypo:
Hypo really would be used in lieu of copper. By Friday, you probably wouldn’t see an effect from it.
I wouldn’t bother with the ich attack - nothing in it will be effective against ich.

For temporary relief, you can do a freshwater dip.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sensi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they even stand a chance at lasting until Friday?

Alternatively I could go buy some copper from my LFS but I wouldn’t have a way of measuring the dose until my Hanna got here and that seems risky.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alternatively I could go buy some copper from my LFS but I wouldn’t have a way of measuring the dose until my Hanna got here and that seems risky.
It doesn’t look advanced enough where they can’t last until Friday.
You can dose according to the bottle, and that should give a proper dose. Still best to do with a test though.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can safely dose coppersafe or copper power if you know how much water the tank actually holds, and dose to that level. This will get you close enough until your Hanna checker arrives.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sensi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can safely dose coppersafe or copper power if you know how much water the tank actually holds, and dose to that level. This will get you close enough until your Hanna checker arrives.
Thank you for the response!

I’ll grab some on my way home today and try it out. Do I ramp up to the full dose over time, or just dose it in all at once?

Also should I do anything different as these are juveniles, approx 1 inch in length

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll grab some on my way home today and try it out. Do I ramp up to the full dose over time, or just dose it in all at once?

Also should I do anything different as these are juveniles, approx 1 inch in length
No need to dose any differently for them. I just put a small clown through copper treatment with no issues. They are not at all a delicate fish.
You can go right to therapeutic dose.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can dose all at once, but you MUST be certain of the water volume and the math that you use to get the dose. The main reason for dosing it in two, 50% doses is to confirm that you did the math right by testing between the two doses. Since you can't test yet, you need to be 100% dead on with your calculations.\

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back