Damselfish struggling in QT

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get a couple damselfish a month and change ago. They both died in QT. Wasn't sure the cause.

So I got a set of 3 again in a 10 gallon QT. And one is hiding and breating rapidly.

They were all a little shy the first two days, but seemed to show some interest in eating. I put the first dose of Copper Power and it brought it up to 0.6ppm as per a Hannah test. But after that this guy seemed to be fairly unhappy. He in hiding in the same PVC elbow and doesn't come out for food. The other two seem to be doing alright.

Any ideas on how to move forward? A video is linked here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fs7N7t9ofN5fbWHk8

0 Amonia and Nitrate, 1.025 salt, 8.4ph.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tried to get a couple damselfish a month and change ago. They both died in QT. Wasn't sure the cause.

So I got a set of 3 again in a 10 gallon QT. And one is hiding and breating rapidly.

They were all a little shy the first two days, but seemed to show some interest in eating. I put the first dose of copper and it brought it up to 0.6ppm as per a Hannah test. But after that this guy seemed to be fairly unhappy. He in hiding in the same PVC elbow and doesn't come out for food. The other two seem to be doing alright.

Any ideas on how to move forward? A video is linked here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fs7N7t9ofN5fbWHk8

If this is cupramine, you overdosed for a fish this small
.5 is max although you can approach.6
These guys are also territorial and Do fight which also may have played a role then comes acclimation
How did you acclimate and for how long?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They were all a little shy the first two days, but seemed to show some interest in eating. I put the first dose of Copper Power and it brought it up to 0.6ppm as per a Hannah test. But after that this guy seemed to be fairly unhappy. He in hiding in the same PVC elbow and doesn't come out for food. The other two seem to be doing alright.

What species of damsel are they? The one in the video is decidedly unhappy - breathing fast and in poor color. It might be stressed out by the other two.

You mention copper power being at 0.6 ppm. Are you aware, it won't have any treatment benefit until you reach 2.0 ppm?

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is cupramine, you overdosed for a fish this small
.5 is max although you can approach.6
These guys are also territorial and Do fight which also may have played a role then comes acclimation
How did you acclimate and for how long?
Sorry, I edited to clarify in the original post it was copper power. The bottle says the appropriate dose is 2.5ppm. I floated them for an hour on Friday, the tank salinity already matched the shop salinity, but I still drip acclimated them for 45 minutes. Left the lights off for a day after that.

What species of damsel are they? The one in the video is decidedly unhappy - breathing fast and in poor color. It might be stressed out by the other two.

You mention copper power being at 0.6 ppm. Are you aware, it won't have any treatment benefit until you reach 2.0 ppm?
They are springeri damsels. I was planning on ramping it up to 2.25ppm over the course of 24 hours over 4 doses. But I was holding off until I got some guidance based on this guy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry, I edited to clarify in the original post it was copper power. The bottle says the appropriate dose is 2.5ppm. I floated them for an hour on Friday, the tank salinity already matched the shop salinity, but I still drip acclimated them for 45 minutes. Left the lights off for a day after that.

They are springeri damsels. I was planning on ramping it up to 2.25ppm over the course of 24 hours over 4 doses. But I was holding off until I got some guidance based on this guy.
Great
2.5 is safe for them
If unsure on tank readings, don’t hesitate to take a water sample to an LFS that does not use api test kits and see what they come up with and to compare with your readings

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back