Eggs on my Koran Angel?

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by DerekC, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

bump

2. DerekC

DerekC Member

I guess I would assume these are some eggs of some sort that somehow attached to his body and are now all dead since they have been there for at least 3 to 4 weeks. In that case, I will scratch them off and see what damage it has to the fish and if the fish will heal up. I would not assume it is any sort of parasites.
    Any comments from any experts are welcome.

3. justinm

justinm Active Member

Possibly Crustaceamorpha? I imagine the isopods/copepods are eggs before the actual parasitic pod.

Mark Gray likes this.
  4. DerekC

DerekC Member

Looking forward to hearing from #reefsquad. I am ready to just remove the eggs manually.

5. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I would certainly be tempted to go that route.

~Bruce

6. meir

meir Valuable Member

This is a mesoleucus angelfish

7. Victoria M

Victoria M Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

have you sent a pm to one of the disease experts? @Humblefish I would think would be interested in this?

8. justinm

justinm Active Member

Have you dipped the fish in Formalin or anything?

9. Tft12

Tft12 Active Member

One thing that might be helpful to keep in mind is that a lot of the treatments we use aren’t effective against all life stages of the particular pests we’re trying to kill (eggs, cysts, and spores are often incredibly hard to kill)...so maybe copper is effective for this mystery parasite but not while it’s an egg? Same issue could apply to any antihelminthics or other treatments you might try. I’ve personally never seen large eggs on a fish before - wish I could be more helpful. I would suggest you keep this fish by itself as a precaution though. Once those things hatch I’d assume they’re going to be looking for a host.

10. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Oh this thread... you have me completely stumped and that’s hard to do!

11. Tft12

Tft12 Active Member

It would be nice if it was just a common viral infection like lympho. How confident is everyone that those are eggs? We might expect to see a dark region in the middle of eggs?

12. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Crazy! Following!

13. Big G

Big G Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

What have you been feeding the fish? Any chance live mussels?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    OctoPaige and Zack K like this.
  14. Darryl

Darryl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Catskill Reef Member Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

It is a Singapore Angel

15. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Fascinating. I’d disagree on the snail eggs. It looks like a lot of different egg types IMO.
    Is this fish going into copper? Most external or burrowing parasites should respond to that.

And no offense to anyone , but the onley other resource I know of is Bob Fenner and his crew at wetwebmedia.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/before/index.htm

16. DerekC

DerekC Member

I just took him out and popped and scratched the eggs by nail and rinsed him off then put him back in QT.
    The QT has full dose cupramine constantly and he has been in there for more than 2 months already. Maybe it was some sort of eggs that was killed by cupramine and still attached to the body all this time.
    I would assume he will heal up. If something happens to him or if I get a chance to take him out (to DT), I will take some close up pics to check out the wound if any.

OctoPaige, Big G, Zack K and 2 others like this.
  17. Victoria M

Victoria M Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

It is what I would have done. I would still send the photos to Bob Fenner to see wha he had to say.

18. OctoPaige

OctoPaige New Member

I would suggest looking into topical anti-parasitics, if Cupramine had no effect. How long did you treat him at that level? I think it's safe to assume it's some kind of parasitic invertebrate for the time being.
    If the fish is chill enough for a bath and photo, it shouldn't be much worse for a quick sample'n'swab. :D My experience is more with bacterial and cyst stuff so far- not often for parasites other than Argulus and anchor worms, but there must be products out there you could quickly apply with a q-tip that would work right away and not harm the fish or water... For example: hydrogen peroxide?

Big G likes this.
  19. Mal Cameron

Mal Cameron Member

Definitely a Singapore Angel. Hard to keep until acclimatised and sometimes a bit fussy with food. Those eggs have me a bit baffled but maybe they aren't eggs. Could it be a fungus?? Haven't seen anything like it since starting in marines in 1972.

20. Mal Cameron

Mal Cameron Member

Definitely a Singapore Angel. Hard to keep until acclimatised and sometimes a bit fussy with food. Those eggs have me a bit baffled but maybe they aren't eggs. Could it be a fungus?? Haven't seen anything like it since starting in marines in 1972.

21. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

KJoFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted