OP
OP
D

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I would assume these are some eggs of some sort that somehow attached to his body and are now all dead since they have been there for at least 3 to 4 weeks. In that case, I will scratch them off and see what damage it has to the fish and if the fish will heal up. I would not assume it is any sort of parasites.
Any comments from any experts are welcome.

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly Crustaceamorpha? I imagine the isopods/copepods are eggs before the actual parasitic pod.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sailfin has been with him the whole time (2 months). Today, I just added another patch of fishes - powder blue, brown tang, saddle puffer, foureye bufflerfly, and one bufferfly that I have yet to ID.
Looks like brown tang has ich (one white dot), I will see if cupramine will take care of that. Tomorrow I will start dosing kanaplex.

20171224_165017.jpg

Can you ID this bufferfly fish please?

20171224_165046.jpg

This is a mesoleucus angelfish

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that might be helpful to keep in mind is that a lot of the treatments we use aren’t effective against all life stages of the particular pests we’re trying to kill (eggs, cysts, and spores are often incredibly hard to kill)...so maybe copper is effective for this mystery parasite but not while it’s an egg? Same issue could apply to any antihelminthics or other treatments you might try. I’ve personally never seen large eggs on a fish before - wish I could be more helpful. I would suggest you keep this fish by itself as a precaution though. Once those things hatch I’d assume they’re going to be looking for a host.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this thread... you have me completely stumped and that’s hard to do!

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice if it was just a common viral infection like lympho. How confident is everyone that those are eggs? We might expect to see a dark region in the middle of eggs?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crazy! Following!

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sailfin has been with him the whole time (2 months). Today, I just added another patch of fishes - powder blue, brown tang, saddle puffer, foureye bufflerfly, and one bufferfly that I have yet to ID.
Looks like brown tang has ich (one white dot), I will see if cupramine will take care of that. Tomorrow I will start dosing kanaplex.

20171224_165017.jpg

Can you ID this bufferfly fish please?

20171224_165046.jpg
It is a Singapore Angel

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure looks like snail eggs attached to the fin / body.

2017-12-24 17_03_27-20171224_140036.jpg - IrfanView (Zoom_ 2264 x 1274).jpg
Fascinating. I’d disagree on the snail eggs. It looks like a lot of different egg types IMO.
Is this fish going into copper? Most external or burrowing parasites should respond to that.

And no offense to anyone , but the onley other resource I know of is Bob Fenner and his crew at wetwebmedia.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/before/index.htm

OP
OP
D

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took him out and popped and scratched the eggs by nail and rinsed him off then put him back in QT.
The QT has full dose cupramine constantly and he has been in there for more than 2 months already. Maybe it was some sort of eggs that was killed by cupramine and still attached to the body all this time.
I would assume he will heal up. If something happens to him or if I get a chance to take him out (to DT), I will take some close up pics to check out the wound if any.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took him out and popped and scratched the eggs by nail and rinsed him off then put him back in QT.
The QT has full dose cupramine constantly and he has been in there for more than 2 months already. Maybe it was some sort of eggs that was killed by cupramine and still attached to the body all this time.
I would assume he will heal up. If something happens to him or if I get a chance to take him out (to DT), I will take some close up pics to check out the wound if any.
It is what I would have done. I would still send the photos to Bob Fenner to see wha he had to say.

OctoPaige

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest looking into topical anti-parasitics, if Cupramine had no effect. How long did you treat him at that level? I think it's safe to assume it's some kind of parasitic invertebrate for the time being.
If the fish is chill enough for a bath and photo, it shouldn't be much worse for a quick sample'n'swab. :D My experience is more with bacterial and cyst stuff so far- not often for parasites other than Argulus and anchor worms, but there must be products out there you could quickly apply with a q-tip that would work right away and not harm the fish or water... For example: hydrogen peroxide?

Mal Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a Singapore Angel. Hard to keep until acclimatised and sometimes a bit fussy with food. Those eggs have me a bit baffled but maybe they aren't eggs. Could it be a fungus?? Haven't seen anything like it since starting in marines in 1972.

Mal Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a Singapore Angel. Hard to keep until acclimatised and sometimes a bit fussy with food. Those eggs have me a bit baffled but maybe they aren't eggs. Could it be a fungus?? Haven't seen anything like it since starting in marines in 1972.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back