Electric power needs for a big build

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is amazing you’re taking the time to plan this out before hand. I’m sure not many would’ve done this and went full in and the panel box is the last thing they would’ve thought about!

I sit on a 120G and the peak for me is 5.4 amps. Apex does lie I hope....

Can’t wait to see this build and keep posting! We’re all here to help you!

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I run an 800g tank. Skimmer, 3 return pumps, tons of lights (LED), 3x 500w heaters, 6 powerheads, all the bells and whistles. Go look at my build thread for the list or details..

1611316575027.png

That's a snap I just took now from my whole-home power monitor for the 2 circuits for the fish room. So that shows everything, even stuff the Apex won't pick up. The big spikes are the 500w heaters kicking up. But it's been warm this week, so:

1611316742836.png

That's 90 days worth of data (there are a few missed days in there, yeah). You can even see where all 3 heaters kicked up. They eat about 438w each.

So that's some real, live data for you to chew on, from a running tank, for 90 days. I seriously doubt you need 5 circuits.. I have dual 20's and don't even come close to maxxing either of them out. I have the heaters in a flip-flop setup, with the third as a backup that almost never runs, but even if it does, it's just 2 heaters running on the B circuit, because one of them is on the A side.

Hope that helps a little.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back