Electricity/Power Strip Question

Nate92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the process of setting up an 80-gallon tank with a 30-gallon sump. I would ideally like to have a single power strip into which I can plug all my devices (lights, return pump, protein skimmer pump, ATO pump, etc.). Does the power strip need to be a GFCI power strip like this or this? Or, will a normal surge protector power strip like this suffice? As a note, my sump is not in a basement or side room.

Thank you!

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the GFCI for added safety. However, the biggest question is how many amps the equipment will be pulling at once. They are 15 amp power strips. Also, consider that not all plugs are tight space friendly; the Tripp Lite product will be beneficial for spacing.

OP
OP
N

Nate92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the GFCI for added safety. However, the biggest question is how many amps the equipment will be pulling at once. They are 15 amp power strips. Also, consider that not all plugs are tight space friendly; the Tripp Lite product will be beneficial for spacing.
Thanks for your feedback!

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you have your tank on a GFCI, prudence would warrant some sort of back up that can automatically turn a (some) pump(s) on if the GFCI trips. While the GFCI will better protect your tank and home, it also more likely to trip than a circuit breaker, and if it does so when you aren't around to promptly reset it, you risk a tank crash.

OP
OP
N

Nate92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you have your tank on a GFCI, prudence would warrant some sort of back up that can automatically turn a (some) pump(s) on if the GFCI trips. While the GFCI will better protect your tank and home, it also more likely to trip than a circuit breaker, and if it does so when you aren't around to promptly reset it, you risk a tank crash.
Thanks, Mike!

Back