Elegance Coral got eaten

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had this lovely elegance coral for a little while now, it had about 4 heads or mouths to feed per say. Today my coral beauty decided to go onto a murderous rampage and eat about 3/4 of my elegance coral.

This happend while I was at work, and my wife alerted me to her findings and quickly covered the poor thing with one of my nets to keep the fish at bay.

My question is can these corals recover for that kind of thing? He seems to still have one good head/mouth left but is a small husk of his formal self. He is currently in a separate tank inside my display as I feel that the light over my QT, basic led for light cycle, would not be suffice for photosynthesis.

Any tips or pointers to help him recover, things to whatcha out for (brown slime) etc. I would really like to save this coral.

Thank you for you help and suggestions,

20210819_203427.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had this lovely elegance coral for a little while now, it had about 4 heads or mouths to feed per say. Today my coral beauty decided to go onto a murderous rampage and eat about 3/4 of my elegance coral.

This happend while I was at work, and my wife alerted me to her findings and quickly covered the poor thing with one of my nets to keep the fish at bay.

My question is can these corals recover for that kind of thing? He seems to still have one good head/mouth left but is a small husk of his formal self. He is currently in a separate tank inside my display as I feel that the light over my QT, basic led for light cycle, would not be suffice for photosynthesis.

Any tips or pointers to help him recover, things to whatcha out for (brown slime) etc. I would really like to save this coral.

Thank you for you help and suggestions,

20210819_203427.jpg
Doesn’t look good. See if whatever is left inflates over the next few days. Also keep an eye on bjd which is common when flesh gets damaged.

OP
OP
Dmtd1OfThePast

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look good. See if whatever is left inflates over the next few days. Also keep an eye on bjd which is common when flesh gets damaged.
How quickly can BJD show up? I only ask because originally it kind of looked like there was something on him when I first transferred him but it looked more red than brown.

I'll go research BJD for pictures and compare. Thank you,

OP
OP
Dmtd1OfThePast

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the day after and it looks like there are a bunch of brownish bubbles all over his inner flesh and he is completely receded. I think it may have been a little too much of a shock for the poor coral. Going to take him out tonight incase it is brown jelly.

Thanks everyone

parkwaytrash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain! My coral beauty is doing the same thing, also killed my new Duncan and very small dark torch from nipping/tasting. Pretty sure this fish is gett relocated soon. Too many expensive things for it to taste and kill

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It does not look like its eaten but rather it is receding at a high rate due to likely water conditions unfavorable. Elegance corals require a moderately high amount of light to support photosynthesis. But that doesn’t translate to strong light. LEDs, fluorescent, or other reef-caliber lights will be sufficient. You want to aim for a PAR of about 80-120. Also important is water flow which should be moderate.
You don’t want the flow to be too hard or too soft. “Just right” means the tentacles flow gently, like leaves in a light wind. Too little and elegance corals will not thrive. Too much flow and you risk tearing the delicate polyps.
The proper flow brings nutrients to the polyps, ensuring they remain nourished. And you’ll see the typical “sweeping” movement as they drift in the current.
The elegance coral is photosynthetic, which means commensal photosynthetic algae called zooxanthellae that live inside its body tissue and provide nutrition by harvesting the energy in light – much like a house plant. They also benefit from regular feedings. with foods such as krill, Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, or small pieces of fish, and shrimp.
Elegance corals ARE prone to elegance coral syndrome (ECS). If your coral has this disease, you’ll see swelling around the oral disc and unopened polyps or a white mucus coating.

OP
OP
Dmtd1OfThePast

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain! My coral beauty is doing the same thing, also killed my new Duncan and very small dark torch from nipping/tasting. Pretty sure this fish is gett relocated soon. Too many expensive things for it to taste and kill
I am sorry that you are experiencing the same thing. Good luck catching yours mine has been a very elusive bugger.

OP
OP
Dmtd1OfThePast

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like its eaten but rather it is receding at a high rate due to likely water conditions unfavorable. Elegance corals require a moderately high amount of light to support photosynthesis. But that doesn’t translate to strong light. LEDs, fluorescent, or other reef-caliber lights will be sufficient. You want to aim for a PAR of about 80-120. Also important is water flow which should be moderate.
You don’t want the flow to be too hard or too soft. “Just right” means the tentacles flow gently, like leaves in a light wind. Too little and elegance corals will not thrive. Too much flow and you risk tearing the delicate polyps.
The proper flow brings nutrients to the polyps, ensuring they remain nourished. And you’ll see the typical “sweeping” movement as they drift in the current.
The elegance coral is photosynthetic, which means commensal photosynthetic algae called zooxanthellae that live inside its body tissue and provide nutrition by harvesting the energy in light – much like a house plant. They also benefit from regular feedings. with foods such as krill, Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, or small pieces of fish, and shrimp.
Elegance corals ARE prone to elegance coral syndrome (ECS). If your coral has this disease, you’ll see swelling around the oral disc and unopened polyps or a white mucus coating.
Thank you for all this information. I really appreciate it. The picture was taken after it was moved to its hospital tank. I would believe it was receded myself if there were any flesh left on the skeleton. There was only that one head left on the far side. The coral seemed to be doing perfectly fine for over a month, opening up, fully inflating, had it's own little corner on the bottom right of the tank, readily ate reef roids, mysis, squid, clam.

Can they really recede so far that nothing not even mucus is left? That fast in one day? I am not trying to discredit what my wife witnessed while I was at work, just seems crazy in retrospect.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for all this information. I really appreciate it. The picture was taken after it was moved to its hospital tank. I would believe it was receded myself if there were any flesh left on the skeleton. There was only that one head left on the far side. The coral seemed to be doing perfectly fine for over a month, opening up, fully inflating, had it's own little corner on the bottom right of the tank, readily ate reef roids, mysis, squid, clam.

Can they really recede so far that nothing not even mucus is left? That fast in one day? I am not trying to discredit what my wife witnessed while I was at work, just seems crazy in retrospect.
When they get “so far “, it’s at the point of tissue loss. At this point you can drag the remainder to save it. Many stores have a coral saw and can cut off the dead portion for you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back