Elegance Coral Syndrome Diagnose and Treatment with Fresh Water Dip

GzO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a reliable way to identiy ECS, i want to get 1 for my 20 gallon tall evventually stocked with nano fish. i will be using a ai prime 16 sol on the 12" flex mount a freesea 1050 or 1650 gph pump (idk whats better) & 17 lbs of gulf live rock. i will probaby run a fluval mini skimmer too. will this equipment be sufficent?
I would suggest a bigger tank, when they're open fully they take up quite a bit of real estate. Didn't have pic of it when it was fully open, it extended about another inch and a half to two inches in diameter. Close up against the rocks kept it smaller than it could open. This is in my 20gal tall.

Attachments

• 20210924_084849.jpg
    20210924_084849.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 61

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm regretting the 15 minute FW dip now. I think I killed my elegance. :-(

Pre Dip

20220324_112007.jpg

Post dip. The flesh looks like it's melting away.
20220325_203628.jpg

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been any new research or work done to find a solution to this problem?

I walk into an LFS and see one and I'm like "NOPE" been there done that but it's the first coral in the store that I am drawn to (like a moth to a flame).

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I'm a huge fan of Elegance Corals so I've been through the woes of Elegance Coral Syndrome a few times now. I've had a big Aussie Elegance for just over 4 months now, and it has always been rock solid, doing super well. It has remained in a low light area of the tank its entire time in my tank.

Over the last 2 days I've noticed what LOOKS to be some potential early signs of ECS. The Elegance is still opening big every day(maybe a little less than typical but hard to gauge as it still opens to ~5" across right now", it eats when I feed it but there's clearly some of that 'opaque white mucus like web' around the various mouths. It's not a very large amount but it's noticeable and it's something that wasn't there before so I think it's worth addressing.

I see15 minute freshwater dips have been advised for ECS, and my Elegance is still very healthy so I'd be willing to try it if that's what others recommend.

Any help would be appreciated!

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I'm a huge fan of Elegance Corals so I've been through the woes of Elegance Coral Syndrome a few times now. I've had a big Aussie Elegance for just over 4 months now, and it has always been rock solid, doing super well. It has remained in a low light area of the tank its entire time in my tank.

Over the last 2 days I've noticed what LOOKS to be some potential early signs of ECS. The Elegance is still opening big every day(maybe a little less than typical but hard to gauge as it still opens to ~5" across right now", it eats when I feed it but there's clearly some of that 'opaque white mucus like web' around the various mouths. It's not a very large amount but it's noticeable and it's something that wasn't there before so I think it's worth addressing.

I see15 minute freshwater dips have been advised for ECS, and my Elegance is still very healthy so I'd be willing to try it if that's what others recommend.

Any help would be appreciated!
I wish there was a solution to this problem.

Last edited:

AdrielReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance Coral, Catalaphyllia jardinei, is a LPS that is very beautiful easy and is one of my favorite LPS. Since early 2000, it was well known by reefers that Elegance coral is easy to care for, unless it contracted Elegance Coral Syndrome (ECS), a universally fatal disease with no known cure.
Elegance Coral Syndrome was coined in 2006 by Eric Borneman, a pioneer reefer who unfortunately no longer involves with reefing world, to describe this infectious disease of Elegance corals. He discussed about Elegance corals and this disease in detail in January 2008 issue of Reefkeeping, an online magazine published by ReefCentral.com. A link to this article attached below.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/eb/index.php
In this article, Eric recorded his observation of this disease as follow:
  • Colony’s oral disk first start to swell
  • Unexpanded fringe tentacles
  • Coral secrete opaque white mucus like web
  • Feeding response decline
  • Tentacles no longer “sticky”
  • Coral’s tissue eventually shrinks and coral dies
Eric also did contagious experiment and proof that this disease is indeed contagious, thus cause by infection. He also tried but fails to identify the pathogen and did not come up with any possible treatment. By 2008 virtually all imported specimens were infected with this disease and he recommended that we should no longer attempt to collect or keep Elegance corals because survival rate were dismal.
I don’t have as much experience as Erick, but in addition to Eric’s observation, I have the following observations:
  • Coral initially have localized evidence of disease on oral plate, which then spread to other parts.
  • Coral secrete mucus as a response to infection
  • Coral worsen with high light exposure and seem to improved, temporary with lower light level
  • Coral looks better in AM, worsen as the photo period progress.
I cannot help with draw parallel with Pinched Mantle Disease, a condition that I know very well. I like to experiment with treatment of ECS, but did not have a chance until recently. One of my friends, @alton a member here on Reef2Reef, bought an Elegance coral that ended up with ECS. As a last ditch effort to keep this coral alive, I recommended 15 minutes Fresh Water Dip (FWD). Alton’s Elegance did great and is on its way to recovered fully. I advised Alton to use 15 minutes FWD only for his Elegance coral since the soft tissue layer of Elegance coral is fragile and thin. Pre and post treatment of this Elegance coral attached below.

Pre treatment
2019elegance-pre-treatmentresized-jpg.1234447

Post treatment
elegance-post-treatment-jpg.1234448

Another picture a week later
elegance2019100701-jpg.1236181

Alton’s Elegance is on its way to recover fully. I will ask Alton to keep this thread update. I know that ECS have no known cure. If FWD is indeed a cure for ECS, this is a big step in helping us keep Elegance corals, a very beautiful coral, in our reef tanks.
I would like any reefers who have Elegance corals that were infected with ECS, and want to treat them with FWD, please post pre and post images of the corals, and keep update. Hopefully we can come up with a cure for, up to now, an incurable disease of a beautiful and hardy coral.
Hello, my name is Adriel. I think my coral is sick. I will try this treatment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back