Potentially caught Elegance Coral Syndrome early - Steps to take?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I'm a huge fan of Elegance Corals so I've been through the woes of Elegance Coral Syndrome a few times now. I've had a big Aussie Elegance for just over 4 months now, and it has always been rock solid, doing super well. It has remained in a low light area of the tank its entire time in my tank.

Over the last 2 days I've noticed what LOOKS to be some potential early signs of ECS. The Elegance is still opening big every day(maybe a little less than typical but hard to gauge as it still opens to ~5" across right now", it eats when I feed it but there's clearly some of that 'opaque white mucus like web' around the various mouths. It's not a very large amount but it's noticeable and it's something that wasn't there before so I think it's worth addressing.

I know 15 minute freshwater dips have been advised for ECS, and my Elegance is still very healthy so I'd be willing to try it if that's what others recommend. @OrionN - Your thread initially gave me a lot of information, perhaps you have some advice?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up doing a 15min FW dip the same day I posted this. Afterwards I placed him in my sump under very low lighting. It has certainly been in rough shape since then, but I haven't seen any of the typical symptoms of ECS so maybe it's in the clear there.

I'm hopeful that given time, the Elegance will fully recover over time, but I suppose we'll see.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up doing a 15min FW dip the same day I posted this. Afterwards I placed him in my sump under very low lighting. It has certainly been in rough shape since then, but I haven't seen any of the typical symptoms of ECS so maybe it's in the clear there.

I'm hopeful that given time, the Elegance will fully recover over time, but I suppose we'll see.
Any improvement?
From an academic perspective I'd like to know if the the freshwater dip at least staved off some symptoms.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any improvement?
From an academic perspective I'd like to know if the the freshwater dip at least staved off some symptoms.

The dip seems to have worked well. I haven't seen any white mucus on the Elegance since the dip. It certainly isn't as big as it typically was prior to getting sick, and it got a bit bleached either from the FW dip or the very low lighting of the Sump.

In any case, I've since moved the Elegance back into the display tank from the sump and it seems to be recovering slowly each day. I think the key here is dipping the coral when it's still very healthy and can take the hit of a FW dip.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you heat the FW to about the tank temp?
Of course. Just try to get it close to the temp of your tank. I think people often exaggerate the sensitivity of corals to temp fluctuations, but it's always safe to aim for a similar temp if you're gonna be stressing a coral out.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the elegance make it?
Yep! It's still kicking. When they say long road to recovery, they really mean it. It's definitely still healing and nowhere near it's former size/extension but it comes out every day and eats food when given.

Surprisingly, this was one of the first corals to recover after I had a semi tank crash due to a power outage, tank temp dropped into the 50s. In any case, it has done fine since then.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back