Elementary classroom tank

dna4ya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I am an elementary gifted (advanced/high ability) teacher at a low income school in Central Florida. Although it's costing me a fortune, I really felt that it would be a huge benefit for my students to learn from a saltwater tank. The experiences and the educational benefits are huge! I am so excited to watch this tank grow with my students. (I have the same students year after year.) My husband and I have a large SW tank at home, so mostly my classroom tank will be compiled from "left over" parts from that tank...which will hopefully help keep the cost minimal. (Although I'm already over double the original "budget" with no livestock :( go figure...so far only supplies I've had to purchase are electronic - lights, chiller (ac turns off when not in room), pumps - which all adds up to double my budget! And I bought from Craigslist 0:) whew)

Anyway, if y'all hear of a grant, have suggestions or something applicable to me, please please share! I need help! :)

Pictures to come :)

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dry goods do you need? There are enough of us in the area we might have extras of what you need. I don't have extras on livestock yet as my tank isn't that old but others in the area might have some frags to share. If you have a regular lfs ask them to make a donation. If you can give a not for profit receipt then they can deduct it as well.

OP
OP
D

dna4ya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I need all dry goods basically. I have the tank, Stan and equipment for the sump/refrug - but that's it. My husband got me salt so
I can start cycling the tank, and I bought a bottle of Dr Tim's One and only. My only true 'local' lfs was t much help with donations. Apparently there is a charter school that has a tank they "sponsor" so they didn't wanna help really. I try not to pull the "teacher card" as I can't stand to fall into that "oh she's a teacher" scenario (bad rep for always wanting more) so I didn't argue. We went to a store (and hour or so away) yesterday to pick up my DIY lights and the owner said when up and running he'd help me with some frags (ya know when I came back to get all my fish from him. But an offer is an offer - cant be greedy, just don't really "know" much about his shop as to whether or not I want fish from there (does that make sense?). He seemed a bit high for the fish I was looking at.
I really appreciate the reply and offer to help! I'm very excited for all the things I can teach with this tank! My students are going to learn and grow so much!!

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is this tank you bought? a nano tank? make sure if you do to seed your tank quickly use some of your water from your tank and scoop a cup of sand or so and seed your sand bed on your new classroom tank. will make your life soo much easier. i hope this brings a impact with teacher and kids learning. Good luck and wish the best please keep us updated.!

OP
OP
D

dna4ya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's a 20 gallon with sump/refrug. Thats a good idea, as i was gonna start from scratch with dr tims to cycle...Didn't think of that. Someone told me to get sand from mangrove area, but I'm not so sure about that...any thoughts? Yea I'm def learning as I go. Thankfully my hubby has some experience and then I found wonderful people and threads on the forums as well! :) between that and supportive admin, I feel ready to go! :)

180galreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do when I set up a new tank is pretty much what was just said. I actually us all of the water from my main display tank to fill the new one (I have a 180g sps tank so my "dirty" water is not that dirty) and add some of my sand to the new tank as well. It is much easier than doing the whole cycle. Good luck with this, my 2 daughters absolutly love to help me with my tank and one of my oldests daughters fisrt words was "feesh".

OP
OP
D

dna4ya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here are some pics, not sure why showing them sideways...? I'm adding shelves to the back cubby for supplies and moving the chiller outside (needs to breathe more). We've got water in it now, just ready fur this thing to cycle! 0:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 131

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back