Refugium Impact on pH (or am I interpreting this wrong?)

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I run a reef tank in my high school classroom. I haven't bothered too much with pH until this point but recently we started adding corals and studying water chemistry. When I first took a look an our weekly graph on fusion I was surprised to see how immediate the impact from students in the classroom was on our pH. My students come 7:10-7:20 each day and my classes end at noon every day. Almost as soon as my first class would start my pH would begin dropping, until noon when my last class ended. Usually the drop was about 0.2. At noon it would immediately begin climbing again. On the weekend, when no one was in the room, pH was relatively high, which made sense. All this seemed to make sense and was a great model of ocean acidification for the kids.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 6.59.26 PM.png

Last Thursday we spent some time optimizing our refugium light with our PAR meter, just really looking for max light output (for now). There has been a significant change in the previous pH change pattern. The swing during school days are not a as drastic and the minimum pH has increased pretty significantly. Is it possible that the increased light could affect the refugium efficency to this extent? Could the macro really be converting this much carbon dioxide? Or am I missing something here?

Refugium Impact of Tank pH (1).jpg

tempImage1fx6Z7.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back