PH issue

sjslanina1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My pH quite recently has dipped to the lowest it's ever been. Generally my pH dips to 7.8 during the night and then peaks at 8-8.01. I have every window open in my house to get some oxygen saturation which is what I normally do if there is ever a small dip but I can't figure this out. Included are my pH readings and my weekly tests. I also do 10-15% water changes weekly.

Anyone have any idea why this drop is happening? I originally assumed it was my dKH was significantly low, but I tested and it's within my normal range. Also the nitrate spike was me killing bryopsis in my tank. Did a 30% water change and readded red ogo to my refugium which is sucking up all my nitrates

image.jpg IMG_2371.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably a testing error if the inside of the home has the same ambient co2 level as outside AND you tank has proper gas exchange and aeration. If you have a good skimmer, then this is likely enough gas exchange.

Do you happen to dose any strong bases like calcium hydroxide?

pH probes are probably the least reliable piece of equipment in any reef system. They just drift for no reason and fail all of a sudden.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back