Eliminating GSP

Arruna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning!

So I have a rather large... colony of GSP. And by large, I mean it takes up at least 1/3 of the rock work in my 150 gal aquarium.

My clowns have decided its better then a nem and have hosted it. They never stray to far, and spend most of their day and sleep in it. So I am fine with letting them keep their 1/3 of the aquarium as it has also made alot of cool caves that the rest of my fish enjoy.

The problem comes when its starting to reach more rocks. (not sure how, there was space between them, i guess not enough) oops. So i want to try and kill of the GSP on the rock its starting to sneak its way on to. I dont want start a new cycle in my take as I have alot of fish, other coral, and CUC established. So well my snails are on their third breeding. (yay free) so I assume i shouldn't take out that established rock and replace it with new dry rock.

I saw a few people recommend to take the rock out, and poor "joes juice" or salt directly on the GSP, leave for a bit and then rinse in RO water and replace it. Is this a safe method? Will it kill the rest of the rock?

Thanks for any advice/help

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think killing the gsp would foul your water. Why not just frag a bunch of it off? Once you get it started it peels off easily

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I just scrubbed mine to oblivion. A little each day just in case. Worked like a charm. Use a hard bristle brush.

dochou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing will seem to get rid of it unless you physically remove it. You can try removing the rock and chopping off chunks of the rock that have GSP on it. I don't think the salt method will kill every last bit of it. If every last bit is not killed then it eventually will re grow.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Good Morning!

So I have a rather large... colony of GSP. And by large, I mean it takes up at least 1/3 of the rock work in my 150 gal aquarium.

My clowns have decided its better then a nem and have hosted it. They never stray to far, and spend most of their day and sleep in it. So I am fine with letting them keep their 1/3 of the aquarium as it has also made alot of cool caves that the rest of my fish enjoy.

The problem comes when its starting to reach more rocks. (not sure how, there was space between them, i guess not enough) oops. So i want to try and kill of the GSP on the rock its starting to sneak its way on to. I dont want start a new cycle in my take as I have alot of fish, other coral, and CUC established. So well my snails are on their third breeding. (yay free) so I assume i shouldn't take out that established rock and replace it with new dry rock.

I saw a few people recommend to take the rock out, and poor "joes juice" or salt directly on the GSP, leave for a bit and then rinse in RO water and replace it. Is this a safe method? Will it kill the rest of the rock?

Thanks for any advice/help
What did you do? I have the same issue

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back