?????Elos Alk test kit

kevinpratt823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using API for years, but with some changes/fluctuations going on in my tanks this past month or so, I decided to try an Elos kit against the API.
First of all, the directions say "when the solution turns from cyan to yellow", but I never saw any cyan, it went from perfectly clear to a faint yellow, not a very positive reading. Also, the API tests at 8dKH, and the Elos is at 6.5, but this is after an Alk dose, as I have been trying to get my alk to stay up over 7(API kit) and struggling, also been dosing Ca/Mag trying to bump levels up a bit, but barely moving, but I have no excess precipitation.
My Ca is at 400, Mg is 1300, and I have been dripping Calk for the past month or so to keep my Ph up at 8.2(before it would go bet 8-7.8)
Also running a large Cal reactor, full 55g fug/macro, Bblking 300 skimmer is drawing in outside air, total system around 600gal.
Any input/ideas????

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the API alk kit for years. I tried all the others and kept coming back to it. My API was always more consistent than the more costly ones and my LFS always had it in stock. When I used the ELOS it always read lower for me. I got the same readings when I used API and Salifert.

reefpoor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you got a bad kit. I have used their alk kit for a few years now, always goes from cyan to an orange yellow. Have never seen it go clear

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back