Elysia hedgpethi????

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
1,318
Reaction score
822
Location
MA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd time I've found one of these guys in my tank. Nothing wrong with the tank everything looks awesome. I have been using NSW for water changes (northeastern MA) and someone in my local club thought it might have been elysia hedgpethi, which is a sea slug that eats algae. Any thoughts or other possible IDs?

And if it is elysia hedgpethi are they reef safe?
20201130_200650.jpg
20201130_200655.jpg
20201130_200723.jpg
 
If you can, let it grow out somewhere outside of the DT. It's definitely some kind of nudibranch. When it grows and becomes more defined and mature, it'll be easier to identify. Some Nudibranchs are good (like the lettuce and berghia nudibrach), but some are bad for the tank and eat corals.
 
This is exactly what I found in one of my tanks. Have you found out what these critters actually are? And are they reef safe?
 
With most nudis in mind .
Their diet is strictly one particular thing .

I’d be worried that what it’s feeding on in the dt , possibly wouldn’t be available in a qt .

if unknown diet the common decision is to remove it .
I’m interested to see what species this is as there are some very interesting ones in all ranges of colours
 
I think Elysia is actually a sea slug rather than a nudibranch. From what I read about them, they are considered solar powered sea slugs since they usually contain zooxanthellae.
I don't know this critter, but if it's solar powered AND you're not seeing any corals being eaten, then that implies an algae eater.

Chloroplasts don't come from just anywhere. ;)


Whoops, wrong thread. Zombie time!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new