Emerald crab and clean up crews

I rarely see my emerald crabs eating bubble algae. But, I too had a significant bubble algae outbreak when i accidentally spiked my tank with TSP and raised the PO4 level to 10 PPM. I added my first 6 emerald crabs when the bubble algae covered nearly all the rock that was not taken by coral or mushrooms. While I "occasionally" found an emerald crab eating a bubble, it was typically one that was already popped, or very loosely hanging on. I think what happened is the bubble algae population exploded and then crashed. The emeralds might have been eating the very smallest of bubble algae cells as they picked "invisible to me" algae off the rock and then stuck something into their mount.

Mine do like to feed on the flake food and frozen food that drop below the fish. I've NOT had them attack my hermit crabs, gobies, or trochus snails. They've not bothered my coral. I recommend you keep 1 or 2 in the tank unless you catch them misbehaving.
 
I have two emerald crabs, if you supplement their diet with seaweed then you'll never have a problem with them, or that's at least from my experience
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new