Emerald Crab Appreciation Post

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the little things in my tank. The little dudes that hide under things, you see every week or two, and have lots of personality. And for me, nothing exemplifies this more than emerald crabs. Yes, I know they can be opportunists. Many people have had trouble with them eating coral, macroalgae, or even fish. To me though, they are worth it. They have so much personality. Look at their little faces! On top of that, they are great workers. I love seeing my five scrabble around the rock, grabbing bits of algae. They seem much more industrious than snails, and they aren't afraid to tackle long stands of hair algae and bryopsis. I'm probably asking for trouble putting them in my tank, but I know the risks and benefits and decided that they are worth it to me. I can't be the only one who thinks this, right? Show off your emeralds here!

1672367276901.png

Big male. This one might be my favorite, even though he will probably be trouble in the future.

1672367345736.png

Little female in the bryopsis garden.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your appreciation is great. Funny how the clean up crew can add so much personality to a tank!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my "Mr. Grumpy Gills" before he got in trouble for having a taste for LPS. I DO love them! I've been entertaining a trip down to the LFS to see if they have any females.

IMG_20220610_211506_710.jpg

He looks like a "Mr. Grumpy Gills". Very fitting name.

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big do they get and how long do they take to grow? I had heard about them and wanted to get one. I was expecting a big crab that I'd have to worry about snatching fish. Everyone assured me that won't happen. I went and got one from the LFS. Its like 1/4 inch across. I was expecting a crab, not a water ant

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way they toss their arms up in the air as their reaction to pretty much everything. Trying to scrape algae? Yeet your arms into the air. Trying to scare a fish away from your turf? Yeet your arms into the air. Trying to catch some mysis floating by? Yeet your arms into the air.

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one too, and you are correct...So much personality! Mine knows when it's feeding time and will throw his claws up like HEY DONT FORGET ME. I usually stick a piece of dry seaweed on the tip of my feeding baster, and he takes it directly from there.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way they toss their arms up in the air as their reaction to pretty much everything. Trying to scrape algae? Yeet your arms into the air. Trying to scare a fish away from your turf? Yeet your arms into the air. Trying to catch some mysis floating by? Yeet your arms into the air.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big do they get and how long do they take to grow? I had heard about them and wanted to get one. I was expecting a big crab that I'd have to worry about snatching fish. Everyone assured me that won't happen. I went and got one from the LFS. Its like 1/4 inch across. I was expecting a crab, not a water ant

Mine's like, an inch and a half? Maybe 2 inches? They stay smol.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back