Emerald crab missing legs

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey yall, I have a springers damsel,hermits, a fighting conch and a long fin clown. Does anyone know why or how my crab is missing limbs and a claw? Emerald crabs are like the one things that for some reason I cant get to work.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey yall, I have a springers damsel,hermits, a fighting conch and a long fin clown. Does anyone know why or how my crab is missing limbs and a claw? Emerald crabs are like the one things that for some reason I cant get to work.
Do you have more than one emerald?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3, I am down to two but I may be down to one.
Ah. They are territorial. Likely one took the leg/claw off. Seen that in the LFS multiple times. Thats why I keep my honker crab by himself with just a coral banded shrimp and clown pair so he wont fight with another. He got big fast and has huge claws

Attachments

• IMG_2946.jpeg
    IMG_2946.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2947.jpeg
    IMG_2947.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2918.jpeg
    IMG_2918.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 40

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, missing limbs can also be caused by bad molts - so if something is off with the crabs’ diet/environment (such as excessive territorial aggression), that could potentially cause this too.

Additionally, if the crab that’s missing limbs isn’t moving, it’s possible that it may just be a molt missing limbs instead of the crab itself.

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. They are territorial. Likely one took the leg/claw off. Seen that in the LFS multiple times. Thats why I keep my honker crab by himself with just a coral banded shrimp and clown pair so he wont fight with another. He got big fast and has huge claws
i tried doing this and my emeralds kept on dying.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried doing this and my emeralds kept on dying.
how much algae do you have? And do you target feed them? I feed mine regularly and he begs for nori with his claws outstretched every time he sees me. He is a fatty

OP
OP
santeeeyyy

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much algae do you have? And do you target feed them? I feed mine regularly and he begs for nori with his claws outstretched every time he sees me. He is a fatty
I have plenty of algae. (I bough them to help out with GHA. and I was gonna say bubble algae but they just cleaned it all out!!! i just realized omg no more bubble algae problems.Ok maybe there is two decent sized bubbles but I can remove them. SO now I just have GHA that I can most likely need to pluck out. )

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back