emergency please help

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I just bought a fire shrimp and placed it in my tank and I have to green spotted puffer fish and I'm not sure the name but one of those magenta fish..I'll attach pics but the puffer and magenta fish are trying to eat the shrimp the puffer ate a chunk from the tail area of the shrimp...what do I do...will it grown back..please help

1455601017091.jpg

1455601052211.jpg

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers love to eat inverts you may have to find a new home for the shrimp. If it survived the attack it should be able to recover but I think the puffer will eventually eat it.

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a purple dottyback, known for eating shrimp, as with puffers in general, I'd re-home the shrimp ASAP!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers love shrimp, your dottyback is probably testing for a meal. Either way as has been advised, re-home the shrimp if you want to save it.

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and does that go for all puffer? I died so I reals ed it and just let them eat it..

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will green spotted puffers get more aggressive with age? I read that you have to trim they're teeth as they grow?

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will green spotted puffers get more aggressive with age? I read that you have to trim they're teeth as they grow?
If you feed your puffer hard shelled foods like shrimp, krill with their shells on that will help keep the teeth worn down so you won't have to trim them.

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This means if I keep the dotty back and puffers I can never have shrimp in my tank

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this means if u keep the dotty back and puffers I can never have any shrimp in my tank

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All puffers eat inverts but in my experience green spotted puffers are pure evil and will eventually kill everything. They may behave for a while but you will find dead fish with no explanation and that cute little puffer acting innocent as can be. I've seen then kill fish twice their size not for food but just for sport. Unless you keep them in a species only tank they have a high potential to kill everything including coral. If you want more options for livestock I'd get rid of the puffer.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.6%
Back