Emergency tank help

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got hit hard by hurricane Ida. Had to evac with no time for aquarium care. The electricity went out they survived 3 days without anything while I was gone. I got my generator going but it runs everything but the central air. The tank got up to 90 degrees for a week. All of my coral beside 3 died. A torch which is on deaths door, a Duncan which is doing better than ever and a B&B zoa which is so discolored I could barely tell which lived. Both of my clown fish are fine.
My house is going to have to be gutted and I'm living in a trailer in my driveway does anyone know a decent small nano that can keep what's left alive for a good couple months atleast as we rebuild? I have 6 days before they start breaking walls down.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got hit hard by hurricane Ida. Had to evac with no time for aquarium care. The electricity went out they survived 3 days without anything while I was gone. I got my generator going but it runs everything but the central air. The tank got up to 90 degrees for a week. All of my coral beside 3 died. A torch which is on deaths door, a Duncan which is doing better than ever and a B&B zoa which is so discolored I could barely tell which lived. Both of my clown fish are fine.
My house is going to have to be gutted and I'm living in a trailer in my driveway does anyone know a decent small nano that can keep what's left alive for a good couple months atleast as we rebuild? I have 6 days before they start breaking walls down.
Could always get a tub from Lowe’s if needed or check local reef club many deals on used tanks / make a post

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting the evo 13.5 from petco. Its not cheap for a tank ill likely only use a couple months, but it will make a nice travel trailer fish tank (I won't be moving the trailer while it's setup lol).
What's the best way to switch over? Obviously I can't bring over all of my rock and sand from my bigger setup. If I use half new water, and half water from that tank. And I bring as much rock as necessary and sand from the old tank. Will I be able to put my fish straight in? Or do I need to bring some of the used filters over, or get a bottle of the cycle startup that's used when you first get fish?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just transfer some of the rock over to the evo and call it a day. Your live rock gives you an instant cycle. The bacteria doesn't know it's in a different glass box.

If you can manage it, it would be worthwhile to stick the rest of the rock in a tub or bucket with a little heat and flow to keep it live until you are ready to restart. But not the end of the world if you have to let it dry out to store.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about your home. Best of luck with the construction. It'll be better than before once it's done :)

After the dust settles and you get things back to normal, I bet you're going to get to like that little Evo. Great little tank!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very sorry for your losses. You have lots of BBA - Bounce Back Ability!

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just transfer some of the rock over to the evo and call it a day. Your live rock gives you an instant cycle. The bacteria doesn't know it's in a different glass box.

If you can manage it, it would be worthwhile to stick the rest of the rock in a tub or bucket with a little heat and flow to keep it live until you are ready to restart. But not the end of the world if you have to let it dry out to store.
I was wondering about that I could easily fill my 50g water change drum and put live rock in it in my garage.. but I'm in louisiana it's going to get hot. Is there an acceptable range? I imagine it will go up to 90 or so in there... not all the time but often enough until November.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back