Emperor Angel Strange Behavior

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give everyone an update. He is still with us and eating okay. He is swimming more upright. When I put in mysis shrimp and can get one to hang on the end of the pipette, he will snatch it off.
This is good news! I hope he continues to improve.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me so happy!

I had a flame angel who got like t
Wanted to give everyone an update. He is still with us and eating okay. He is swimming more upright. When I put in mysis shrimp and can get one to hang on the end of the pipette, he will snatch it off.
this and started recovering well, then my heater on my QT got stuck on :'( good to see you're angel is pulling through!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jody Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome news as an update. He is now swimming upright and has been for almost half a day. We found a LARGE amount of waste in the little QT tank. It appears he was impacted/constipated. The only issue now is curing the popeye from probably straining too much.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome news as an update. He is now swimming upright and has been for almost half a day. We found a LARGE amount of waste in the little QT tank. It appears he was impacted/constipated. The only issue now is curing the popeye from probably straining too much.

Interesting case!

Sorry, for some reason R2R stopped flagging the posts in this thread for me, so I wasn’t seeing your posts.

Jay

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good cure for popeye on an Emperor?
I used kanaplex and it cleared it up within a couple days on a flame angel. But I suppose it's entirely dependant on the cause. Mine just happened to be bacterial, and caused by a bacteria that kanaplex destroyed.

I think popeye is always bacterial, but I am not an expert by any means.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good cure for popeye on an Emperor?

There are different causes for "popeye". Can you post a picture?

The main criteria are:

One or both eyes?
Clear bubbles visible or not?
White opacity on the lens, or not.

Then, the relative severity of each of those symptoms.

I often use Erythromycin if it is bacterial popeye, but that won't help if it is flukes or mechanical damage that was the cause.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jody Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are different causes for "popeye". Can you post a picture?

The main criteria are:

One or both eyes?
Clear bubbles visible or not?
White opacity on the lens, or not.

Then, the relative severity of each of those symptoms.

I often use Erythromycin if it is bacterial popeye, but that won't help if it is flukes or mechanical damage that was the cause.

Jay
He hasn't been the easiest to get a photo of recently, but hopefully these help.

It is one eye
Not sure what you mean by clear bubbles
I believe it was somewhat opaque early Sunday, but it has seem to gone away.

I would have to say that it seems a little severe on one of the eyes. I also don't think it was bacterial unless that was causing the constipation, but I don't think it was.

IMG_5288.JPEG
IMG_5290.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_5289.JPEG
    IMG_5289.JPEG
    109.3 KB · Views: 16

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hasn't been the easiest to get a photo of recently, but hopefully these help.

It is one eye
Not sure what you mean by clear bubbles
I believe it was somewhat opaque early Sunday, but it has seem to gone away.

I would have to say that it seems a little severe on one of the eyes. I also don't think it was bacterial unless that was causing the constipation, but I don't think it was.

IMG_5288.JPEG
IMG_5290.JPEG

That's very severe. When only one eye is involved, you can rule out gas supersaturation and flukes as causes, as those would involve both eyes. You can also rule out edema (fluid build-up) and most bacterial infections. What you are left with is an injury as the cause, with possible secondary bacterial infection. These can take a long time to heal, and in some cases, they are permanent.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jody Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's very severe. When only one eye is involved, you can rule out gas supersaturation and flukes as causes, as those would involve both eyes. You can also rule out edema (fluid build-up) and most bacterial infections. What you are left with is an injury as the cause, with possible secondary bacterial infection. These can take a long time to heal, and in some cases, they are permanent.

Jay
Is what I am doing (keeping him the isolation box) the best way to help him? I am also soaking food in Selcon trying to help provide him the most nutrition as possible. I know when I looked in the QT tank that he was in yesterday there was a large amount waste in the bottom of it. We didn't notice the popeye before all of that. Could it be from straining to expel the waste?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is what I am doing (keeping him the isolation box) the best way to help him? I am also soaking food in Selcon trying to help provide him the most nutrition as possible. I know when I looked in the QT tank that he was in yesterday there was a large amount waste in the bottom of it. We didn't notice the popeye before all of that. Could it be from straining to expel the waste?
Is the fish getting any antibiotic at this point? I would suggest a broad spectrum antibiotic in the water - If you've used something like kanamycin or neomycin I would not use that longer than 10 days - in which case you could try maracyn2 (minocycline)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not from straining, I’ve never seen that, and the pressure would be on both eyes, not just one.
Selcon is a mix of fatty acids and is for long term dietary health, it doesn’t help with short term issues like this.
Why is it in the acclimation box, is there another issue? Better to not restrain it in a small container if you can avoid that.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back