Swim bladder surgery?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a rhomboid wrasse that from day one was not able to right itself. Swims 99% upside down, all over the place and is not eating. Shockingly colors look fantastic and appears visibly healthy other than being unable to move normally. I have tried epsom salts with no luck. First of all, I assume this is a swim bladder issue? Secondly, if it is (I don't notice any noticeable swelling) is it worth attempting the needle/swim bladder procedure? At this point I don't think there is much else I can do.....he has been like this for about a week without eating. I did buy Clove Oil for sedation/euthanasia. Any ideas?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a rhomboid wrasse that from day one was not able to right itself. Swims 99% upside down, all over the place and is not eating. Shockingly colors look fantastic and appears visibly healthy other than being unable to move normally. I have tried epsom salts with no luck. First of all, I assume this is a swim bladder issue? Secondly, if it is (I don't notice any noticeable swelling) is it worth attempting the needle/swim bladder procedure? At this point I don't think there is much else I can do.....he has been like this for about a week without eating. I did buy Clove Oil for sedation/euthanasia. Any ideas?

How long have you had the wrasse?
Can you post a video?

Also, have you seen this post:

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the wrasse?
Can you post a video?

Also, have you seen this post:
Thanks for the reply Jay. I had not seen that, but it sure sounds awfully similar....right down to the bent body. Here is a video if you can make it out with the blue lighting.......

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Jay. I had not seen that, but it sure sounds awfully similar....right down to the bent body. Here is a video if you can make it out with the blue lighting.......

Sorry - that does look like UNWD

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back