Purple tang with swim bladder issue?

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, yesterday we acquired a purple tang that we were told “possibly has a swim bladder issue.” He kind of bobs up and down, swims sideways, and drags the lower part of his body when he is swimming. He seems fine otherwise. Color looks good, no visible ich, fins look fine, etc. I attached a video for reference. Does this appear to be a swim bladder issue? Does it correct itself eventually? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• output.mov
    71.9 MB
OP
OP
T

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shortened & attached the video again because I’m not sure if it downloaded right in the previous post. Also, the tang is eating fine- nori & seaweed pellets.

Hey all, yesterday we acquired a purple tang that we were told “possibly has a swim bladder issue.” He kind of bobs up and down, swims sideways, and drags the lower part of his body when he is swimming. He seems fine otherwise. Color looks good, no visible ich, fins look fine, etc. I attached a video for reference. Does this appear to be a swim bladder issue? Does it correct itself eventually? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• output.mov
    38.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shortened & attached the video again because I’m not sure if it downloaded right in the previous post. Also, the tang is eating fine- nori & seaweed pellets.
Kind of strange. What’s the history of the fish? Is it eating well? It looks a bit thin.

It does look like it is negatively buoyant. All fish will slowly sink if they stop swimming, but this fish is sinking faster than normal. I’m not sure want could cause an underinflated swim bladder in an adult tang like this.

Jay

OP
OP
T

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really don’t know much about this fish other than “he may have a possible swim bladder issue.” The fish store we got him from had only had him in a few days. He is eating well: nori & seaweed pellets. His swim pattern is just so bizarre with the sinking, bobbing up and down, and kind of dragging along the back half of his body.

Kind of strange. What’s the history of the fish? Is it eating well? It looks a bit thin.

It does look like it is negatively buoyant. All fish will slowly sink if they stop swimming, but this fish is sinking faster than normal. I’m not sure want could cause an underinflated swim bladder in an adult tang like this.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We really don’t know much about this fish other than “he may have a possible swim bladder issue.” The fish store we got him from had only had him in a few days. He is eating well: nori & seaweed pellets. His swim pattern is just so bizarre with the sinking, bobbing up and down, and kind of dragging along the back half of his body.
Fish has a pinched belly and may suggest bladder or internal issue. Often fish may expel air, if bladder or correct itself, but if internal, you may want to treat in quarantine with seachem Kanaplex which is absorbed by the fish
It is as Jay stated a weird swim behavior and can stem from several issues

borraborra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening!! Was hoping to find some answer on my blue spotted puffer who is also experiencing a swim bladder issue. Back story, he was introduced to the tank a couple months back. He was eating like a pig in the acclamation box for 3 weeks, but once I free'd him to the tank, he was to scared to fight for his food as the rest of my fish are pigs. I noticed he was getting really skinny - so I captured him and put him back in the acclimation box in the hopes to train him and get him fat. He's been in the box for 3 days not and is eating like a pig - loves his mysis shrimp...but now he's swimming funny. Video shows below. Should I just let him work this out? Any and all help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7866.MOV
    11.3 MB
OP
OP
T

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening!! Was hoping to find some answer on my blue spotted puffer who is also experiencing a swim bladder issue. Back story, he was introduced to the tank a couple months back. He was eating like a pig in the acclamation box for 3 weeks, but once I free'd him to the tank, he was to scared to fight for his food as the rest of my fish are pigs. I noticed he was getting really skinny - so I captured him and put him back in the acclimation box in the hopes to train him and get him fat. He's been in the box for 3 days not and is eating like a pig - loves his mysis shrimp...but now he's swimming funny. Video shows below. Should I just let him work this out? Any and all help is much appreciated!
The video isn’t working for me, so I can’t see if it’s a similar type swim bladder issue as our purple tang. Ours is a negative swim bladder issue where he sinks instead of positive where he would float around the top. From what I’ve read on here (someone can correct me if wrong) the negative swim bladder issues seem to be more of a permanent type issue, which has been the case with ours. He has improved a bit, but after two months now he still mostly swims the same. If he’s not actively trying to swim, he sinks to the bottom & kind of bounces (instead of effortlessly gliding like our other tangs) around the tank. He eats like a pig & is completely healthy otherwise.

borraborra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s shaped like a C and is trying to swim but keeps circling. His nose is down - doesn’t look like he’s sinking more bobbing. Let me know if this video works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back