Emperor Angelfish looking unwell

Knebworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone.

I am new to the hobby and the forum. I would appreciate some advice on the health of this beautiful fish. He is eating and swimming well however has discolouration. If you could advise your thoughts on what could be affecting him and treatment please. If I need to provide more information please let me know

thank you
C630AAC6-C692-4AD7-9948-7E0D26E3F971.jpeg

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks stressed and seems to have white spots ich, what size aquarium is he in, start giving him medicated food or with garlic or if it is a fish-only aquarium, treat it with copper or hospital tank.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea that looks like ich or velvet (worse). How long have you had him? How many other fish are in the tank? I would treat in a hospital tank asap.

OP
OP
K

Knebworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for replying. My tank is a Red Sea reefer 750 xx. he has been in the aquarium 2 days. i have mainly fish, although some invertebrates and a torch coral. I have a quarantine tank that I can set up. I’m just nervous at using copper as I have no experience with it or the best brand to buy and use.
thanks again

OP
OP
K

Knebworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks stressed and seems to have white spots ich, what size aquarium is he in, start giving him medicated food or with garlic or if it is a fish-only aquarium, treat it with copper or hospital tank.
I have been feeding frozen brine soaked in garlic which he enjoys.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you both for replying. My tank is a Red Sea reefer 750 xx. he has been in the aquarium 2 days. i have mainly fish, although some invertebrates and a torch coral. I have a quarantine tank that I can set up. I’m just nervous at using copper as I have no experience with it or the best brand to buy and use.
thanks again
Set it up, now. Hob filter, heater, air stone with air pump. Use copper power with a Hanna copper tester. If it's velvet it might be too late but you need to act now regardless. Also, you'll need to treat all of your fish, not just the one. You'll also have to have the display sit fallow for 76+ days. Since it's a new tank you're standing up you'll need an ammonia test kit and test daily - do frequent 20% water changes too.

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Biff0rz How would you set up the hospital tank.?
I’d say get it out of the tank ASAP. Make sure your hospital tank has plenty room to swim and flow. This fish will not do well in a small tank

If you don’t have a hospital tank set up already it will take a little bit. I recommend using some water, sand, and live rock from your tank to try avoid/speed up a cycle.

The experts here will give you more info. That’s just from my bit of knowledge

OP
OP
K

Knebworth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say get it out of the tank ASAP. Make sure your hospital tank has plenty room to swim and flow. This fish will not do well in a small tank

If you don’t have a hospital tank set up already it will take a little bit. I recommend using some water, sand, and live rock from your tank to try avoid/speed up a cycle.

The experts here will give you more info. That’s just from my bit of knowledge
Thank you. I will do this

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper will kill all your inverts including your expensive coral. Only use this in a quarantine/hospital tank that do not house inverts. Do a quick google on copper treatment in a reef tank and you’ll learn. Follow the instructions on your Cooper treatment bottle

edit: I’m not sure what the proper diagnoses is of your pet. Someone here will be able to help further. 100% get them in to a different tank.

Do more research before dosing copper

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much copper should I use ?
Ramp up to 2.0-2.25 - I'm not an expert at how fast to ramp but you can start at 1.0 without an issue. Copper isn't super hard when you know the exact volume of water/tank which is easy in a hospital tank. Go for it. Get the Hanna and some chelated copper (copper power)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back