Captive Bred Angelfish Experience?

Have your captive bred angels nipped your corals?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only SPS

• Only Softies

• Only LPS

• Only Zoas

• Only Acans

• Total voters

Toby The Puffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have been eyeing a captive bred goldflake angelfish for some time now and I want to hear from people with actual, long-term experience keeping the captive bred angels. Do they eventually nip on softies and lps just like the wild caught ones?

I know biota claims that people have better luck but exacylu HOW much better has everyone's luck been?

I'd appreciate it if you could all chime in. Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have been eyeing a captive bred goldflake angelfish for some time now and I want to hear from people with actual, long-term experience keeping the captive bred angels. Do they eventually nip on softies and lps just like the wild caught ones?

I know biota claims that people have better luck but exacylu HOW much better has everyone's luck been?

I'd appreciate it if you could all chime in. Thanks!
I voted no purely because I want to see the results, this is definitely going to be interesting to watch.

From my understanding, it’s the same odds as wild caught. Captive breeding doesn’t remove the instinct of sponge feeding (I find the Corals that are nipped off tend to be much like a sponge in texture).

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Biota Coral Beauty has been good so far (had her about 2 years). She is very well fed though, and I know this could change any time. I have mostly LPS, zoas, softies, only SPS are birdsnest.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't vote as Ive only had wild caught angels, but the general rumbling on the forum has been they're similarly 50/50 with coral as their wild caught counterparts especially fleshy lps.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only Angel I have ever really trusted with the Swallowtail. I've never seen or heard of one being a bad reef citizen. All of the others are varying degrees of probability.

I know Sprung kept big Angels with his SPS but I believe he said he would never keep them with fleshier LPS or Zoas.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back