Captive-Bred vs. Wild-Caught Fish

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
574
Reaction score
532
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this topic I've heard mainly good things about having captive-bred fish versus wild caught, obviously with captive-bred you are much more likely to get less parasites or diseases, its healthier for the ecosystem and sustainable, and the fish are more likely to take prepared foods and will not require live foods for the most part.

I have heard with some cases captive-bred fish being less intense in color. I think this it's a lot to do with diet as wild collected fish grow up on a much more diverse food group which helps with color enhancement. Some people say captive-bred fish have more sensitive immune systems as they are not introduced to things like fungus, pests, and parasites when they are young like they would be in the wild, although the opposite can be said in some sources as well. I do not have much personal experience with this so I cannot say for sure.

What are your opinions on this? Personally I try to stick with captive-bred fish whenever I can, however there are still a lot of species in the hobby that have not been able to be bred in captivity.
 
With this topic I've heard mainly good things about having captive-bred fish versus wild caught, obviously with captive-bred you are much more likely to get less parasites or diseases, its healthier for the ecosystem and sustainable, and the fish are more likely to take prepared foods and will not require live foods for the most part.

I have heard with some cases captive-bred fish being less intense in color. I think this it's a lot to do with diet as wild collected fish grow up on a much more diverse food group which helps with color enhancement. Some people say captive-bred fish have more sensitive immune systems as they are not introduced to things like fungus, pests, and parasites when they are young like they would be in the wild, although the opposite can be said in some sources as well. I do not have much personal experience with this so I cannot say for sure.

What are your opinions on this? Personally I try to stick with captive-bred fish whenever I can, however there are still a lot of species in the hobby that have not been able to be bred in captivity.

One thing - while captive raised fish carry fewer diseases, that is only in the case where they were not housed with wild caught fish. If that happens, they can easily carry diseases that they picked up from the wild fish.

Poor color in tank raised fish can be traced back to lack of proper nutrition early on. Most commercial breeders have overcome that issue.

Tank raised fish are already adapted to captivity, so never have the incidental mortality seen in wild caught fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new